Does anybody know a good way to search the audio catalog (decals too)?

Just wondering because I want to search the old audio catalog back before they hid all the offsale audio instead of just making a “private” button for the small majority of players that cared. Need a good plugin or script or site that can find audio not on sale. Back then you could just search all the hidden audio and find any sound you needed but now I got to waste Robux making audio somebody else probably already uploaded and doesn’t care if I use anyways.

2 Likes

Private inventories weren’t added for a “small majority” (minority), it was added as a privacy feature for people who didn’t want their assets being taken and it was a long overdue feature. A lot of inventories today - developers, players and those who’ve accumulated a lot of limited items and do not want to be a target of any account breaching or social engineering - are hidden.

There is no way to search the catalog for offsale assets with a plugin or otherwise. The endpoints do not index assets that are from a private inventory. The only way you can access said private assets is if you had a link beforehand that you can access it through - either directly through the URL bar or its availability in someone’s inventory or favourites.

It shouldn’t be assumed that people don’t care about their assets being used, they will, it’s simply that they don’t know where their content is being used and so it just seems like they aren’t or wouldn’t be concerned. You’re playing with serious fire if you think repercussions won’t be waiting eventually (which admittedly a lot of us already do, intentionally or not, including me).

There’s some good free stuff out there if you don’t have the money.

1 Like

Hiding audio (AND DECALS) should be an option manually selected from the config menu, not the default. Offsale items should be findable. The audio catalog has gone from a gold mine of sound sampling to a wasteland of bot spam by Roblox itself. The audio it scrapes floods every single search result with songs often completely unrelated to the search the same way the shirts/pants bots destroy that catalog BUT EVEN WORSE ITS DONE BY THE ACTUAL ROBLOX ACCOUNT ITSELF. Go try and search a basic sound effect you would need like “metal crash” “break box” and see for yourself how usable the Roblox sounds are. None of them would sound good in a game. PLEASE BRING BACK SHOW HIDDEN ITEMS, at the very least give us an option to filter Roblox out the catalog.

Do you think the average player even knows that you have to manually put the audio up for sale for visibility? Maybe the average audio uploader does, but what is more likely:
They want to hide the audio from everybody and keep it to themselves
Or they just want to play their audio in a game as fast as they can and don’t care enough about other people working on games they don’t know exist don’t know exist to bother going into the configuration and putting it up for sale.

It takes too much time. I don’t want to go back and hide all my audio.

But for every sound you want to hide away, there is more lost forever by people who don’t care enough to make it public, people that dont even know you have to put it on sale to be visible, people that dont even play Roblox anymore. You, as the lowest common denominator, should be the one taking the time to hide your item, not the majority.

Private inventories was requested by a majority of developers who have years of experience on the platform and very practical use-cases. :evil::evil::derp::cool::happy3::evil:

Maybe on very specific threads the idea received a lot of support from people that have accumulated so much schemey Robux they have lost touch with the roots, and can afford to upload every audio they will ever need for the rest of their life. It doesn’t even have to be about money though. Even if I knew the exact sound effect I wanted, I used to search through audio all the time just to sample what other cool sfx there were that I could try to use.

Did you truly make the audio yourself? Did you just download it from somewhere else? Ripped it straight from a real game? If I can’t find it myself why do you want me to waste my Robux on something you already uploaded? If somebody wants to steal your game that badly whats stopping them from recording it and uploading it themselves? Now it takes an hour of scrolling through the Roblox audio catalog to settle on a compromise, because not only have few people bothered to make their sound effects public, but all the sound previews are broken without the extension. Why are you not honored that I like your sound design so much that I would use it myself?

Hiding clothing and animations? Ok understandable, but the least that could have been done here is to make the default free and visible, or an extra option under the upload button to make it free. Not ONE of these people suggested this in the threads I checked. Using the decal catalog to find textures I need is 10x harder than it was before now too because the only free images are old memes, faces, and deviantart rp characters. Nobody else makes their images visible. Don’t make me add gamepasses to my nonprofits just so I can upload a song I know for a fact somebody else already uploaded and probably doesn’t mind if I use.

2 Likes

You can request for a granular option to hide specific assets via the #platform-feedback category when it is open to members for posting down the line, but that kind of a feature wouldn’t detract from the current behaviour of private inventories.

Some developers have too many assets to go through and would prefer blanket hiding their assets as opposed to going through the trouble of hiding each and every asset of all types. That’s terrible UX design. With an option to do granular toggles should also come a blanket option and that’s what private inventories do, hide all of the user’s uploads. Offsale assets should not be findable and it’s not that way anywhere on the website. Includes why you can’t use InsertService for assets that aren’t in your inventory; you don’t own it, therefore it shouldn’t be assumed you can use it.

Search improvements are also something you can bring up with Roblox if you find that searching the catalog is too difficult. We have a number of feature requests that you can support that are calling for the improvement of searching and distinction between Licensed Music and other sounds. Via Studio, there is an option to change the time length for audio you want to search (e.g. you can only have results turn up if the sound’s length is between 30 seconds to a minute, it’s a slider).

Again, item hiding was introduced because developers don’t want their assets being used, it’s a privacy feature. Offsale assets being indexable was violating this privacy and can just lead to a higher rate of violations of copyright.

Yes I think it makes perfect sense that someone who commissioned an asset for thousands or created something for their use only hides their inventory (and thus the asset); it’s extremely valid to do. Man, how dare someone not let me steal their work, right? How dare they just want to use something they created or spent money on for their own personal or commercial uses and not let us use that content for free as well without a license or permission. How dare work not be free and open source.

Going off about it in this category is pretty pointless considering it’s something here to stay and this isn’t a category for requesting platform changes, be it feature requests or bugs. This was straight up a whole rant on why you can’t be allowed to just take things you don’t own or have permission to and I think it was pretty uncalled for. It’s also quite rude and ignorant.

4 Likes

No I can’t request it in the platform feedback because I don’t see the option so I’m just going to have to tell you. just move my thread to that board if you can. I really didn’t want to want throw down right here colbert but now its too late.

Its fine for clothing, its fine for models, and its BARELY FINE for decals even though we have lost historical textures because of it.
But developers that have too many sound assets to go through… seems more like they have too much Robux to be caring about people that they will never know exist using their sounds they forgot they uploaded in games they will never play. It goes both ways. They have too many assets to take the time and set each one publicly available. Except its not even the glass being half empty at this point, its everybody in the entire joint having obscured glasses because a few of the high rollers don’t want people to see what they’re drinking. Big win for those guys, especially since they have an easier time ripping sound from any game on Roblox they want to, even if I make it private, because of their expendable Robux, not everybody gets that luxury.

What is a little sickening though is theres already a prototype of this right now, making the inventory of your profile private. Was this not already a better solution than hiding the entire offsale catalog? WHy not hide the items from view of the people with this active by default (AND DONT MAKE THIS THE DEFAULT JUST BECAUSE THE SILENT MAJORITY DIDNT SHOW UP TO THE DEV FORUM CONFERENCE CALL).

Colbert how many people do you think commission sounds for Roblox. What percentage of the uploaded sounds are genuinely original creations vs how many are people ripping things from other games, artists, professional sound design teams. Does it not seem embarrassingly petty to hide the Star Wars blaster sound effects you rip from the public because “my robux my sound”. Does it not seem like you are holding everybody else back for selfish temporary pride, instead of bolstering the foundation of the platform, the foundation of what the Roblox Developer Forum was established for. Does it not seem like there is an unnatural obsession with claiming ownership of your digital “property” going on here. Why force it, DEFEND IT, as the default. Unhide the offsale audios by default, leave the people with private inventories unfindable. Give an option to private it or turn it on sale at the upload page.

1 Like

Final time I’m going to reply and I’m going to address your post directly because the previous one didn’t go through well, I guess. Sorry to be blunt, but, frankly, I’m not interested in reading paragraphs on defending the ability to steal other people’s assets. That’s what this boils down to, even if you aren’t explicitly saying it.

I’ve answered the heart of your question as well: there is no way to search offsale assets. Endpoints do not index items from private inventories.

No. I am not moving any threads to Platform Feedback.

Then don’t. It’s really as simple as developers wanting privacy and having gotten it. Why should offsale assets be searchable other than so that you can steal them? Even if you’re just looking for sounds for your project, doesn’t take away from the fact that you want to unpermissively use things.

Nothing of value was lost. Graphic designs are also someone’s IP. Make your own or commission textures to be made. Historical value holds no weight here: don’t steal, lol.

Yes that’s why private inventories exists. It’s not just developers.

How much Robux people have has absolutely nothing to do with if they want their assets indexable in the search or not? It simply means that they don’t want you using their stuff, regardless of if they play your game or not. You’re violating their copyright. Do that to a large company and you would get sued; on Roblox, you’d earn copyright strikes until you get terminated.

I have… no idea what you’re talking about at this point. What? The only thing I can make out from this is that you want to make the user experience terrible for everyone else because you need a little more window to continue stealing. That’s not okay.

Not a prototype. It exists as a fully-fledged feature.

Private inventory = you can’t view a user’s inventory
Can’t view a user’s inventory = why should you be able to view it through a workaround?

Makes no sense. The whole point of the feature is asset privacy and defense against piracy.

Not sure what active means, sorry. Not sure what conference call you’re talking about either. If you mean RDC, that’s a place for developers to network, ask questions and see what’s coming up on Roblox: has nothing to do with any kind of voting or majority or anything. This update was done long before RDC occurred.

Don’t care, not my business. I don’t care about other people’s licensing because that leads to silly presumptions on a topic I have no knowledge on. I don’t need to put my nose in other people’s business. Licensing is between the uploader and the source entity, be it someone they commissioned or an outside source. Third parties are unwanted outsiders. This point’s pretty mute.

You’re seriously blurring the lines to try and make an emotional appeal here and to try to appear to have a coherent point. This is three different topics merged into one.

1. DevForum has nothing to do with this debacle at all.
  2. Not all offsale sounds are uploaded from other sources. Some are commissioned or bought for commercial use from sound distributors such as AudioJungle and Pond5 (with or without royalties due, often without).
  3. I don’t understand how wanting other people not to use the work you spend hard time and/or money to acquire is selfish lol. The platform isn’t getting held back 'cause you can’t steal audio.

Uh no? This is why copyright law exists. If you make something, you are within your right to distribute it, sell it or do what you want with it so long as it doesn’t infringe on someone else’s content. This point, I’m not honestly sure how to respond to it. It’s just wrong on so many levels.

No.

This has gone pretty far off topic and has just devolved into a petty rant. You had a question, it was answered.

1 Like

Closing this topic as it’s been derailed and there has been an answer.