Don't Render Non-Visible Studio Windows

TL;DR: Please stop rendering non-visible Studio windows.

Whenever I’m building in Roblox Studio I often have 2-4 copies of it open for testing/copying/pasting/modeling

I’ve noticed that my computer gets really slow when I do this unless I remember to minimize each Studio instance when I switch to another one (which is hard to remember to do).

Basically it seems to me that if I have a full screen instance of Studio running, all the non-visible Studio processes should stop eating my CPU/GPU cycles. It sucks because Windows 10 is still not great at time sharing my GPU and many of my Chrome tabs also want to use it, so browsing (i.e. the other half of developing a Roblox game) gets slow also.

26 Likes

One thing I highly dislike about studio is the laggy feeling. You can’t close a window, drag and drop something with out a fairly high pause, or sluggish animation. Compared to unity, this is insane. I’m sure starting with not rendering non-visible items would be a great way to optimization. Full support.

2 Likes

After upgrading to a 4K monitor, my computer is basically unusable once I have 4+ studio windows open in the background.

Geforce 980M

Well, it is already possible to pause rendering.

Just use this in one of your scripts and wait.

while true do end

Support, it gets annoying a bit when I am testing multiple player sessions.

I’ve also noticed something interesting related to this.

If you have studio open and it’s rendering the game, and you go to play a Roblox game, the Roblox client will seem to have slightly lower fps. But if you go into studio and bring up a script to hide the game rendering so you can’t see terrain and stuff, the Roblox client will have better fps and things like camera movement will be slightly smoother. Idk if this just depends on the system you are using or not, but its what I have noticed.

So every time I play a Roblox game while having studio open, I make sure I open a script (in full, not docked) to hide the game scenery. Because sometimes having to minimize and maximize windows all the time feels slow so having them always open but in the background gives that instant access feeling we all love.

zzz

Often, I don’t minimize Studio when I switch between Studio and Visual Studio Code (an external editor I use rather than using the built-in script editor). It would be quite nice if Studio stopped rendering when it isn’t visible rather than specifically when it is minimized.

I doubt most developers know what minimizing will stop studio from rendering as I most certainly didn’t until I saw this request.

1 Like