DragDetectors [Beta]

Have you tried welding all the parts inside the model?

6 Likes

Yes but for obvious performance reasons physics-wise, it’d be better to implement this. Also, the fact it uses welds make it gittery, and sometimes even does not replicate properly to the server:

The Hinge seems to cause the issues (mainly), I had a case where the whole frame wasn’t moving completely on the serverside (knowing that the DragDetector does NOT RunLocally)

15 Likes

It already works in VR!
DragDetectors work with mouse, gamecontroller, touch, and VR. We wanted to take care of all the input devices for you so you don’t have to think about it.

You can click and drag anything with a DragDetector under it using the VR laser pointer.
The dragging will work the same as with a mouse, but controlled with your VR hand device.
Also, if you set the DragStyle to “BestForDevice” you will be able to move the object with 6DOF in VR.

It’s not a hand grab; that’s a different action. It’s the remote laser. Hope you find it useful.

I think that, since DragDetectors are not yet turned on for released games. I have not tried this personally but my understanding is it works on windows machines if you hook up your VR headset with Studio.

32 Likes

Roblox staff woke up today and just decided to release a great feature

I can see millions of possibilities with this new feature, I can definitely see people using this a lot. I might try to use this feature in an obby game where you have to drag floating platforms in order to get past.

When might we be expecting the full release of this?

15 Likes

This is absolutely a win as a game developer. It will greatly assist me in improving my game. The only thing I can say is that it is insanely amazing.

i am so glad that they added this feature!

9 Likes

@PrinceTybalt I noticed that it is impossible to zoom in and out with the mouse wheel while dragging.

Is that intentional or a bug?

9 Likes

I think this is a big step in the right direction! One question that I do have about this is that does the movement replicate to everyone?

9 Likes

Every new feature that has “detector” or “sensor” in it, I love it.
Anything that helps with physical interaction without heavy math is an absolute must for Roblox to keep improving tools for developers.

12 Likes

I assume that the part you are clicking is not anchored?
You may get the result you want if you change the ResponseStyle to Geometric instead of Physical (which is the default).
When you do that, instead of driving the motion with a constraint (which I see you have found!), it will temporarily anchor that part and move the pivot of the model instead. If there are other parts that are not anchored though, they may not move along with the parent pivot. We don’t search for ALL non-anchored children and temporarily anchor them. If you are following me so far… is anchoring all the non-anchored descendants while moving the model pivot something you would want in geometric mode?

Also: That AlignPosition should go away before our final release. We intend to use internal methods that do not add instances to apply the constraint forces.

Alternatively, if the part you click is anchored, it will always move the pivot of the parent without physics.

14 Likes

Really cool feature, nice job!

7 Likes

Varonex, can you clarify whether this second video shows a new issue that I didn’t talk about in my response above? Or is there a second issue you’re bringing up here?

9 Likes

Looks like another awesome Roblox Update! I can see this being great for puzzle-solving games, obstacle courses and even more. Loving the full coverage in the API too. Good job!

6 Likes

I really didnt expect this. This is awesome!

Its a lot more customizable than I would think as well, great work!

As a small sidenote, will we ever get click and hold support for normal ClickDetectors? Its obviously possible in this instance so I dont see why not.

8 Likes

We want some soak time to fix a couple of non-crucial bugs, so you creators can give us feedback to know we got it right, and in case any of that feedback makes us want to change the API. Once we put it in games there is no going back!

8 Likes

That is NOT intentional!
Thank you LightningLion58, I will file a bug and we will fix.

9 Likes

Hi bigbenster702.
By default, yes. When you click and drag, the dragStart, dragContinue, and dragEnd events are sent to the server. The server makes the changes to the world, and they are replicated to all players.

But if you set the DragDetector.RunLocally property to true, then the events are run locally instead of going to the server. In that case, no other player will be affected.

RunLocally is useful, say, if you want each player to have their own slider to control volume of music or level of lighting. In this case, though, your scripts that connect to the events will need to be local scripts,.

9 Likes

Alright who’s making Crush the Castle/Angry birds first?

8 Likes

We did not want to make changes to ClickDetectors when creating DragDetectors.
But I think that what you want has demos in “DragDetector TestWorld 2,” which has 3 new button styles you can’t do with ClickDetectors.

If you set the DragDetector.ResponseStyle to Custom, then the object won’t move unless you write a response in your dragStart/dragContinue/dragEnd events.
But now you know when the mouse goes down and up, and you won’t lose focus if you take the cursor off the object (which happens with ClickDetectors).
So! You can make buttons that look different when clicked (by changing geometry/materials during dragStart and dragEnd).
And you can make them take action while the mouse is pressed instead of when it is release, if you prefer.

7 Likes

When you see it post a link here please!

5 Likes

Is there any large performance drawback to using the method you mentioned? I already made my own system that just uses RemoteEvents and UserInputService to detect mouse down and up events, and I dont know if I should migrate to this method.

5 Likes