DragDetectors [Beta]

Maybe they should add a maximum distance it can go before stopped?

3 Likes

If you mean ScreenGUi, it’s a great idea, possibly for the future. We’ve thought about it enough to know that there would be several ways to do this; so it would require some thought and design.

4 Likes

That is such an awesome feature! I already have so many ideas what to do with it.

3 Likes

When you are in first person view, you both move the camera and drag the object when you press and drag. But even so, all that I say below should be true and hopefully helpful:

By default, the DragStyle is TranslatePlane, and axis (i.e. normal to the dragPlane) is going to be theY axis.
You can change your DragStyle to TranslateViewPlane, and it will always move in the viewplane.

Or if you want to move in a specific different plane, you can set your referenceInstance to be a part, model, or attachment, and set the DragDetector.Axis to be a different value. The plane you drag in will be normal to the Axis of the referenceInstance’s coordinate system.

Also, you just want to lift vertically, you can change DragStyle to TranslateLine and it will move ALONG that Y axis.

Lastly, TranslatePlaneOrLine, or TranslateLineOrPlane, will let you switch between the two using the control key. The key you use may be customzied with DragDetector.KeyboardModeSwitchKey

3 Likes

That would be a property of the part itself. In the property pane you can set custom physical parameters, and that is where you can customize friction.

2 Likes

You can set the MinDragTranslation and MaxDragTranslation. If any dimension has max > min, then motion will be confined within that range. We are hoping that this is enough and we don’t need to add a mmaximum distance.

But this only while dragging; if it’s non-anchored and you fling it, that’s different.

2 Likes

Roblox back at it again with good studio updates!

3 Likes

Thank you! We’re looking forward to how this will be used by the community :smiley:

2 Likes

pretty interesting and unexpected addition, lots of stuff to do with this!

2 Likes

cool addition! i will 100% find a way to use this.

3 Likes

I may replace my Puzzle Dungeon room manipulation GUI’s with real parts using this. I love it!

2 Likes

This is an incredibly unexpected but awesome update!

I feel the drag detector will make others experiences feel more interactive as this is an easily accessible feature!

Great work! :tada:

5 Likes

This is actually really cool. Nice to see this feature added.

2 Likes

Oh wow, a good Roblox Studio update. Haven’t seen one of those in a while.

3 Likes

I like this update, however, does it move the camera if your interacting with a DragDetector on mobile?

3 Likes

Any way we can use it with GUIs? (or maybe its already the case and im completely lost)

2 Likes

Okay, you want catapults…
A few of us worked on a game called “Projectile Madness.”
Keep in mind the game is really rough and janky, not ready for prime time.

But we each made a weapon to hurl things at targets, and they should provide you with some fun and fodder. There is my “Plunger Pull,” @itsfrank17 's totally amazing “Catapult,” @idevride 's “Spring Launcher,” and @jinkiesSc00b’s “Wrecking Ball.”

It should be open for you to copy and download. Make better weapons than we did please!

6 Likes

On mobile devices:

• Clicking the thumbstick area/control, jump button, or other UI elements will work, even if a DragDetector is behind them and below the cursor. (And the DragDetector will NOT move)
  • Clicking a DragDetector in the camera area will move the DragDetector and NOT the camera
  • Otherwise, clicking in the camera area moves the camera
5 Likes

Thank you for your answer, it’s nice that you’re taking your time to answer to everyone.

3 Likes

See other comments: DragDetectors don’t work with Screen GUIs,. It’s a great idea, but will require further thought to get it right.

3 Likes