Dragger QoL Improvements [Beta]

This update (in my opinion) is a hot dumpster fire. When this it out of beta PLEASE make this a setting in Studio Settings.

3 Likes

There’s one issue/inconvenience I’ve found with this beta, and I’m unsure what the exact circumstances are but these were mine

I had dragged a model over a custom plane mesh, and the children of the model had changed positions far and deep into the Y-negatives? Despite that little yellow dragger circle/sphere being in the position of my mouse, as well as the model’s position being roughly in the same area as my cursor.

Some things to note about this,

• The plane mesh in question has no underside at all, and there is one part underneath it - There isn’t complete void behind it
  • This is reproducible with a model that contains more than one 3D instance inside of it, this first time this happened it was just with a lone wedge inside of a model.

This is an issue for me as the world for my game contains a series of plane meshes, that I’d like to drag objects over - would be a bummer to constantly have to result to the transform tool over the dragger.

Past that, I and my friends appreciate how much dedication the team is putting into improving the UX for creators in Studio! Thank you guys for making these improvements a possibility, I’ll be sure to return if there’s any other things that irk me or could be improved upon for future versions.

5 Likes

NOW THIS, THIS is what makes the update. I’ve been using F3X for this feature for a while and soon it looks like I might switch over to studio tools.

6 Likes

Absolutely amazing changes, glad to see our tools being improved like this.

2 Likes

So far, my only issue is that pressing Shift no longer scales uniformly and instead disables snapping, with the uniform scaling being bound to Alt for some reason. Shatters my muscle memory a little.

4 Likes

Cool update we got there. Tons of things are going to help builder in this update, for the past 2 months updates are pretty cools!

2 Likes

i have caps lock disabled from being used on my keyboard as its such a nuisance

2 Likes

Amazing update. Did come across one bug though:
Happened when I used the tilt towards camera function by pressing T. This was the first time using it, after that, it has worked fine.

Overall, this works great. I’m not a builder myself, but even the small amount of building I do, I can already see the improvements. Small improvements but they go a long way! Just the grid showing up helps me a lot! I’m also really liking the rotate around normal feature as well as a keybind to disable the grid altogether.

Good update!

Found another bug:
Grid is stuck in the middle of the air even when not selecting anything or re-selecting other objects.

3 Likes

Must be an excellent time for builders with this awesomeness.
The same applies to me as I deal with 3D Objects too.
Keep up the great work guys.

2 Likes

Many of these changes have been needed for a very long time, thanks so much for this amazing update! This makes building so much easier

2 Likes

This is honestly so helpful, used to always get pretty irritated with the dragger, was very imperfect, but this is honestly a welcomed change.

2 Likes

its great except for the fact that when I test I usually press control + 1 to quickly select something I need but even if I change the keybind back it doesn’t let me use the keybind in game and I have to manually press the select button in the ribbon

2 Likes

Loituma
Thx for these changes! These are great. Just need more control over selecting models in hierarchies and I can die happy.

4 Likes

Cool stuff Ig, the UI especially helps with knowing your hotkeys, I guess one thing I would suggest if not already thought about is making the UI a little Transparent just so you can see behind the UI

2 Likes

I’m getting very low fps after this update while working on a game that had over 60 while i was editing.

It never used to be this choppy

EDIT: I found the problem, i enabled constraint view, and i have like 20 of these things, so it was lagging.

2 Likes

So I tried out the new draggers and one thing that stood out to me a lot was that the NUM arrow keys move your selection in a fixed direction. Would be nice if pressing a direction on the NUM pad always goes in the expected direction in relation to your camera, can get annoying trying to figure out which button moves your selection in what direction.

2 Likes

I’m curious what makes this a terrible update for you. Do you just not like the features?

2 Likes

woot woot, round number release

These improvements will provide a big boost in developer experience for building. Soft snapping is especially cool, and tilt/rotate animations are terriffic, I used to always be confused about which way a part would tilt if it looked the same in multiple orientations. Move tool bump keys are amazing too! Thank you to all who worked on this!

3 Likes

This is a pretty cool update! I was wanting something like this for a while now, and super glad that it’s finally here. The improved Hotkeys makes switching much easier now! Thanks Roblox! :+1:

1 Like

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
best update i have seen ever
i always needed soft snappinggg!!!

1 Like