Drifting Away; Feedback & Suggestions

Hi, us at Veryboring studios have been working on a new game. It is called Drifting Away. Drifting Away [Pre-Alpha] - Roblox

It features a semi-randomly generated world of floating islands where you are free to build whatever you want by moving things that have spawned in the structures. It is currently in a very early stage of development. We understand that it is lacking features and polish, but those will come with time. Feel free to point out bugs and suggest features or changes.
There is currently no ui that teaches you how to play.
Controls are: [Space] to fly when not on an island. [E] to pick up objects [R] to rotate objects once you have picked them up. [1-2-3] for changing the rotation axis

Here are some screenshots for those who do not want to join the game.

This one was the first buildings ever created (before rotation existed). FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR OWN BUILDS BELOW

9 Likes

This is really cool and I like the eerie feeling with the music and atmosphere
I however don’t much enjoy the first person. This seems like it’d be incredibly annoying trying to do build projects and having such a small fov. Also the fly feature doesn’t make much sense, it’s just like a big jump. Very cool concept though!

1 Like

yea, the movement is quite finicky, we are working on it. ill check if there is a way to change the FOV. otherwise will we just change it to third person. it might affect the building system but we will work it out.

2 Likes

The movement was made by me, the main scripter, it was one of the first things i made, and it wasn’t really thought out because the initial jump would propel you very high with the low gravity. i probably will remake the jetpack script in future.
Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

The idea of the game is really good, I still haven’t played it but I think it’s good, but I think you could add more, something like tournaments of building, or maybe challenges (ex. build this with this) and maybe more things, like a survival mode with limited resources, no flying etc. or maybe some kind of story, have a good day/night!

We are thinking of adding hostile creatures or something to defend yourself from.

1 Like

Ok, then that would add another level to the game, the idea is good but maybe add more things (I know it’s still in Pre-Alpha so I know there’s not much still)

1 Like

Yes, thats good, we are also currently working on a vehicle for faster travel.

Thanks for the feedback.

3 Likes

Building tournaments were also idea proposed by ChatGPT lol

1 Like

Seriously, ChatGPT proposed building tournament?! This means I AM CHATGPT!!! but seriously this is so much of a coincidence :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

We are now working on a settings menu that you can use to change your FOV.

4 Likes

I think it would be fun to make it so that you have to use the item you collect to get to the other islands
instead of the flying function

1 Like

yes, thats a good idea, would we remove the low gravity then?

1 Like

hmmm. yes probably. Right now i think you have a really unique and cool concept but it doesnt really have any gamplay. I think that you should spawn the player on an island with few resources, and you must build a bridge over to other islands, from which you can move to others. Also i believe you should add some enemies and maybe craftable defenses. Good luck with everything. Tell me when you update!

2 Likes

Yes, i still have to figure out pathfinding through the air.

The car is finished now. we have majorly revamped the map and removed the islands, so as to facilitate movement. Feedback appreciated.

2 Likes

PS: ive put a car by the library if anyone wants to test it.

1 Like

May I ask … Is your game inspired by DOORS?

Not really, its more inspired by 3008 than anything, why? is the build style similar or something?

Yes, it is slightly similar.

The lighting is similar to DOORS, as well as the floor and the barrels.
129c9602801d4a762befaf361c87bb436b42d99f_2_690x388

But it’s very okay as long as you’re inspiring, not directly copying.

If you modeled this game without inspiring it from DOORS, then no need to say " This game is inspired by DOORS ".

3 Likes