Drop the OBC requirement for DevEx

Now that we’ve dealt with Paypal fees by having other methods to cashout, there is another big fee that is involved - the OBC requirement. (I realise this fee is negligible for cashouts above 250K but hear me out…)

For those that can only cash out the minimum of 100K every time, they are required to pay $20 when they want to cash out. People cashing out 100K won’t probably be doing it every month, so thats $20 every time.

I’m glad ROBLOX has listened on Paypal fees, but this fee is 8% of every $250 cashout which is pretty high. (Thats not to mention most devs here will already pay a flat fee in BC per month which is reasonable.)

I’ve read a few other forum posts about this, but they are all pretty old. Most of them talk about the OBC fee being ‘fair’ because we are paying for ROBLOX services, but we shouldn’t forget we already pay for ROBLOX via BC (usually), the marketplace fee and the exchange rate of R$ to USD.

Maybe consider allowing all levels of BC to be eligble for DevEx. I saw many posts talking about the temporary nature of the fee, but they are from 2013/14. I think it is time for it to be dropped.

Oh and here is a poll for good measure. I’m interested to hear peoples opinions on this, but I understand it affects only people cashing out 100K.

• Drop the OBC requirement
  • Keep the OBC requirement

0 voters

18 Likes

I’m not voting for the OBC requirement, I’m voting against waiting times. My last devex took over 2 weeks to complete, my friend’s is taking even longer. I won’t pretend to know how it works but I don’t want any changes that increase the waiting time.

19 Likes

I feel is actualy $1.00 + 2.9% It just looks like 8% with a $250 option

I’m not for or again OBC in particular, but one point I do want to make is that it eats up some of the cheaper DevEx options (ex: $250) which probably earns roblox a lot of money.

Roblox: Hey, wanna make games and earn money?
Person: Yeah sign me up!
Roblox: Alright, just buy OBC and you’ll be ready!

3 Likes

This poll should have another option for expanding the requirement to just any BC.

1 Like

As I can’t add a new poll now, I’ll post one here:

• Allow anyone to cash out
  • Allow BC+ to cash out
  • Allow only OBC to cash out

0 voters

I wonder how many people who have BC are biting the bullet and cashing out 100K (or more) anyway, regardless of the fee. Its hard to tell what effect it would have on requests. Hopefully the new portal can help somewhat with waiting times in the long run.

4 Likes

I’d imagine the OBC for DevEx requirement is a big perk of OBC and may drive a lot of purchases. Personally, I’m ok with flat fees.

4 Likes

I’d really like it to be dropped, as someone living virtually on the bread line this would make a huge difference to me. If they wanted to say ‘Oh because you’re only BC you can only cash out at 250k/500k’ I would also be happy with this. I see the ‘increasing DevEx waiting times’ argument as a 50/50 the best way to see both sides is this scenario for me;

There’s a new burger shop that requires an expensive membership to get food. Unless you have this membership you can’t order food. Yippie for those with a membership, service is fast and food comes quickly. At this same time you make a lot of people angry because they now have to buy an expensive membership in enable to order food.

If everyone is allowed to order, there is much more people to serve but everyone is able to get served fairly and equally. The time it might take to get your food is longer but you will still get your food. If the kitchen staff start to become too overloaded and slow down drastically then they will need to hire more staff as the Burger Shop expands (similarly to DevEx, as it expands they will need to recruit more stuff to be able to accommodate the load)

Now both sides have a valid argument which still makes it 50/50 for me. Overall, I don’t think the basis of this decision should be down to ‘oh well it’s going to make my DevEx time longer’

Conclusion:
NBC can minimum cashout over 500k
BC at 250k
TBC at 100k
OBC remains the same.

4 Likes

If you just keep 20$ (one month of OBC) on your bank/paypal account, and just assume you can cash out -20$ on top of the amount of each tier, you’ll never have any problems. So I’m not sure if I’m seeing the issue here, it’s only 8% of the lowest tier after all…

4 Likes

Let’s take a look at BCs.

We all see there’s no difference other than received gear, ROBUX, groups and places.
Daily ROBUX are useless for developers, because they might get more money from players playing the game anyways.

Is there still like [n] active games limit for each BC? OBC’s 100 is a bit… overkill for a scripting developer.

My friend with OBC was rejected because they thought he did something wrong.
Later he had received a message saying that they made a mistake.
He gave up because he had to buy OBC again. That’s right. Again.
It had expired for him.

I understand if it’s some sort of “fee” to prevent random people spamming.

4 Likes

For someone who would be consistently cashing out as soon as they got to 100K, that 8% would be taken out every time. I’ve never cashed out at the lowest tier because I’d rather only buy OBC for one month, than consistently every month when I reach 100K+

I’m content with OBC being a requirement for DevEx.

Mine took a month to get rejected because they didn’t have “Part 1, section 5 and 6” on my form. But it doesn’t label the sections, so I don’t know what I’m missing, I checked through it and made sure I entered everything. The only thing I didn’t enter was the tax payer number because I am not yet eligible to be self employed in my country.

2 Likes

I’m paying annually, even though I really don’t cash out every month. It’s not a huge deal for me because my devex money really makes up for it but it does get annoying.

Yes, you get 92% of the tier instead every time then for the lowest tier. I’m saying that it doesn’t sound like a problem to me at all.

If you really don’t want to lose the small margin, you can do what you suggest here in the post: save up until you can cash out for a higher tier and then get OBC for a month.

Bought lifetime BC when it was still available, can’t buy TBC / OBC as of today as those options are grayed out.

Also with the changes in the requirements of a valid Devex, I’m unsure that an attempt would be accepted even though I haven’t gained any robux through limiteds. Spending $20 extra for an “attempt” is a quick no for me.

Due the above reasons, yes to this suggestion.

1 Like

Cut the loss down by almost half by doing annual OBC rather than monthly, if your devex is steady

BC+ to cash out.

I don’t want to be paying for OBC every time I want to cash out.

3 Likes

Honestly is a slightly more expensive membership preventing people with the amount of ROBUX to devex though?

1 Like

I thought at RDC 2015 they were talking about adopting a policy of “developers never pay”

10 Likes

I agree it sounds sketchy to have to pay for obc, then roblox has the right to deny you and you cannot refund the 20 dollars they should take 20 dollars out if they allow you to devex for a service fee or something and allow you to cashout with bc since developers don’t generally use obc.