Dynamic Decals: An overhaul of an ageing system

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to create an atmosphere that captures the imagination of the player.

With dynamic decals, level designers would be able to easily add texture detail to their builds on the Roblox platform, and create immersive environments. Not only this, but programmers would be able to add more realistic effects for things like bullet holes, projected UI elements etc.

This is important because what we have right now as a Decal system is very basic, and this makes sense since it’s the same as it always has been. Decals have not been paid attention to in recent years.

Please see the video below to see exactly what I mean by dynamic decals;

50 Likes

This is very similar to this post

1 Like

I feel like this feature request is for a new live-rendering object, whereas the one I’m putting out is for an update to the existing Decal system to allow for more dynamic decal placement in-studio.

Interesting, so a one time render. Seeing as it’s been tested and mostly worked with performance issues, this would remove that problem. (Maybe there were more issues that I don’t know about)

This is a fantastic idea, I’d love to have something like this for things like car customization and painting on UV’s.

Btw this post should be in Engine requests because it effects live servers :wink:

1 Like