Dynamic Heads & Facial Animation Preview Beta

The one on the right isn’t great. I also suggest making everything more akin to ROBLOX’s “old” aesthethic, ex : the Smile face that is standard.

I also suggest fixing some of the issues with the clipping, and I don’t really think anything (ex cheekbones) outside of the face is needed. The cheekbones espeically are a bit too much, in my opinion.

5 Likes

it may be used for some cutscene with voicelines as for lip syncing

7 Likes

Bro did you even see the protencial for an update like this imagine all the cool things you can do with cutscenes

5 Likes

True that, looks like it’s for a good use. I just don’t like the face with the weird eyes.

7 Likes

LOL SAME ENERGY HAHA!

But seriously we need to embrace Roblox’s legacy and current style on the left.

11 Likes

this is the best explanation of the way to where roblox seems like it wants to go
there is no other answer this is the one

4 Likes

By reading through this post it seems that this can already be implemented in-experience by using the bones in the head as a skinned mesh, am I right on this?

4 Likes

I believe you can do that, but im pretty sure it would take a lot of bones

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Dynamic Heads & Facial Animation Preview Beta (Private Discussion)

Urgh… Sorry, but no. This is uncanny as hell. Absolute uncanny valley territory. I can’t get behind this.

20 Likes

Roblox wont be always a blocky place my guy, it’s the future, not the past. Everything happens for a reason.

How will it ruin roblox games? It’s not going to be forced to us either, but make gameplay and experiences much enjoyable and active. You have your own freedom of how you wish to make your game.

Seriously what is up with the Roblox Community? Anything which comes up gets hated so badly. Give it some time guys.

12 Likes

True that, but the thing is R15 was pretty acceptable and had it’s purpose. The animated face with colored eyes, I don’t think it’s gonna be accepted into the community, unless someone uses it for a roleplay game or a highly realistic animation.

Screenshot 2021-10-14 194205

19 Likes

Has anyone ever specifically defined the “Roblox” style? Like on a style sheet?

6 Likes

Obviously, but that isn’t my point. I’m trying to say it’d be beyond abnormal to see a roblox player running around with a highly realistic face that looks like this

Screenshot 2021-10-14 192317
In my opinion, it doesn’t fit.

True true, you’re right. I have nothing against both, only the one I showed earlier.

10 Likes

In my opinion, it doesn’t fit.

People also said this about R15, and how uncanny it looked next to R6. But nowadays, barely anyone complains, it’s the style now.
It doesn’t fit now, but it will fit in the future. That’s how it always goes with Roblox.

11 Likes

dude do you know how many people complain about r15 being unfitting? to this day?
a heck of a lot of people, at least from what I’ve seen in the communities i’m in

8 Likes

Not as many people as back then.

1 Like

still, you can’t just write off all of those people who do think that the new stuff doesn’t fit as “not many people”

the reason why it got pushed down is the influx of new players constantly coming on, and if r15 is all they’ve seen, then that’s what they’ll accept.
same thing for these new faces, for the brand new players it won’t seem out of place but to old players it will.
I’m okay with the new facial animation features, it’s not my favorite thing in the world, I’ll probrably never use it, but i’m fine with it existing

that is until it becomes a norm for every game to have that

5 Likes

well I liked the facial expressions and also how he moved his eyes is good

1 Like

The humans on Wall-e approve these hands.

Seriously though, the hands are terrible, but I am really excited for the new face animations. Cant wait for the tools and docs. I just hope the support is good for a lot of the faces, so there is plenty of uniqueness to a players look.

37 Likes