Dynamic Heads & Facial Animation Preview Beta

That’s what I’m trying to say, all those new people will think this is the norm. And as those new people start to become more prevalent, it becomes the style.

2 Likes

Contrary to what most replies in this thread, I do believe that if this is the direction Roblox sees itself going on, facial expressions in some form are a necessary step. Whether or not Roblox’s vision for the Metaverse is the “correct” and these features will be used well is another story entirely.

My recommendation is that the Roblox team spends a LOT of time on something as important and expressive as facial expressions. Without a doubt, one must balance a classical style (like the face on the left) with a newer style that is both familiar to a very large existing community, and avoids uncanny vally.

Don’t fear constructive criticism from the Roblox community either! I think big drops like this (even in the form of working demos) can be very shocking to people who aren’t expecting a shift this large. Collecting feedback beforehand is just as important in my view as getting feedback in the midst of development.

15 Likes

style as in like how slenders are a style/norm???
the word style doesn’t really give me good hopes for how it’ll be used.
it’ll probably get annoying as every game has it

listen, my views are defiantly baised. I love R6 and despise realism. I don’t really care for the fancy new stuff that roblox adds, but at this point I’m outnumbered. I’ll make my own games in R6 and probrably never use R15 or 90% of the other visual stuff that roblox uses nowadays. I just have already saw many things be ruined by people already and I can only hope that this doesn’t get ruined too.
also it’ll probrably be used for certian games which I’m not allowed to speak of that involve many suggestive animations. but that was bound to happen

3 Likes

This is really cool! I like the one on the left better though. I hope I can have an animated Winning Smile face.

3 Likes

i fear the future and what it’s about to bring to all of us.
you must run but there will be no escape.

8 Likes

I was playing around with custom outfits to get a better feel of how this will actually look and I’m honestly impressed, I see great things for this feature.

I’m guaranteed this isnt the final result but it appears with pants dresses in specific it doesn’t exactly pan out as expected.

13 Likes

this is a good idea, though the cheeks moving and stuff is just really off and weird, and the face on the right just does not look right and fit with roblox

its a good idea though this just doesnt really work well, and i believe static faces should be kept since they just work. there is already a chat system and using this facial system on roblox just wouldnt - it would just be weird

i also saw a teaser for the hands, and they are scary weird. the style does NOT fit with roblox and does not work. it is like a really weird lego with the hands, and the look is just not good.

my advice: do not roll out this update or make sure it is very optional since this does not look good

9 Likes

I look forward to this. If I make use of it, I’ll do my best to keep a classic Roblox look with it at least 95% of the time. I have no doubt one could use this new feature in a way that works with classic Roblox designs. The biggest difference I foresee (other than the face being dynamic instead of static) is the inability to notice individual pixels in the face since this is 3D. That’s something I’m willing to transcend in a heartbeat, no matter how classic one may find it.

5 Likes

Honestly, I all I can say to this is just WOW. Extremely hyped to see where this goes in the future.

2 Likes

Wow, can’t wait to see where this goes.

1 Like

then what exactly is your idea of a good way to change things?

3 Likes

I think that the r6 or r15 avatar bodies with a facial mesh would be cool especially for games like Neighborhood of Robloxia, but I worry the main idea is supposed to be avatars that look like… this?

That is straight up a Sim in Roblox and is very uncanny. Every one knows the backlash Rthro got for it’s look (because the scaling and actual rig is pretty good) and this is like you took what people said into consideration and then threw it out the window into Ban Land’s incinerator.

I think the expressions are very cool but it’s a no from me on the Facethro

5 Likes

Will it be possible for others to connect voice chat and this (kinda like vr chat)

3 Likes

As someone who already has custom dynamic heads, I see I need to work faster! It’s a race to the uncanny valley!

1 Like

I feel like this would not really be used by any game / experience on Roblox. Although this looks really cool, I can’t really think of a game that would use this at all. Facial animations are a small detail that most players would not notice if implemented into a game.

I question how this might be used, but I love how customizable it is. Also, it does look a bit creepy.

2 Likes

After watching the video of it working provided in the post, this is actually better than I thought it was. This is really cool. I wonder how hard it would be to make a custom face mesh and a custom face and animate that.

Good point. Video frames have been out for a while and still, custom vids aren’t supported.

This could be said about most things tbh. You can code just about anything to do anything, which is essentially impossible to moderate automatically. But thankfully Roblox doesn’t require a game version to be approved before it goes live.

In short, it’s a trust thing. Most developers aren’t going to try to break rules. However, if you mean exploiters, that would be another thing altogether depending on how faces replicate.

Edit:
Just learned that this also involves facial tracking, which definitely could have that problem. Good point.

1 Like

that’s was good to be has custom dynamic heads and facial animation beta and was this feature of see good things in the future there are community of dynamic heads there reason animation of facial to be announcement and maybe can used a faces solution my opinion

1 Like

I got so scared when I read the title, but honestly this looks so cool, actually something I envisioned to be in Roblox since 2014! I would just tweak the right preview a little more since it looks rather, disturbing, but I still have a question:

What will this look like in relation to current Roblox Faces? Will the animations be suited to them or will they be available as default Expressions?

1 Like