Dynamic Skies Are Getting Cloudy

Can there be some form of offset value, that way we can actually animate the clouds. Basically would just change the noise’s position. Not sure if this would be possible, but would be very cool.

1 Like

This is amazing and I have been checking back for updates on this since earlier this year. Thanks for this update and still can’t wait for the custom terrain vegetation update!

I must say, I am VERY exited for this update! FIB’s Cousin sure is cool.
As you said, you are accepting developer feedback / feature requests. I would like to give some feedback, and request some features that I’m sure other developers would love to.

1 : Custom Cloud Level Height

Custom Clouds height is really needed. Lets say the atmosphere’s density was really high because it fits a games mood more, it would cover the clouds. The Minimum should be 10 studs off the ground, and the max should be 45000 studs off the ground.

2 : Custom Cloud Color

Custom Cloud Color would be really awesome. Imagine pink clouds in a fantasy looking game…! That would be awesome. Also, lets say you wanted a smoke effect from like a fire or something… You would have the color to the color of smoke. (Dark Orange)

3 : Custom Cloud Types

Custom Cloud Types would be awesome and really helpful for Storm Chasing games. After all, they would gain more traction. I would recommend these cloud types:

Cumulus Cloud

Stratus Cloud

(It would be cool if you can change the smoothness of the cloud)

Cumulonimbus Cloud

(It would be cool if you can change the tallness of the cloud)

4 : a Cloud Instance

a cloud instance would be awesome. Such as in this picture : image
However, the “Clouds” And one of the instances inside of it will be completely different. the “Clouds” instance will be what you guys already have planned, the global clouds in the sky. But the instances inside of the “Clouds” instance, would be certain clouds that you can place around the map. It would be helpful for making storms that aren’t global. Like a storm is on the left side of the map, but on the other side its just the normal clouds scattered across the sky.

5 : Randomness

Cloud Randomness… after testing the clouds in CloneTrooper’s mod manager, I noticed that the clouds look really all the same, just a different perimiter shape. It would be cool if you can change the randomness… If you put the randomness to max, it changes all the clouds height, ect. And if the randomness was set to 0, it would look like how it currently does. Like this :

6 : No Precipitation…

Do NOT add precipitation. A Precipitation Preset would make all the games look like “Roblox.” The best part about rain in roblox, is all game’s rain looks different, making rain unique.

Conclusion :

Thanks for reading, perhaps you could heart this reply to get their attention if you want some of this stuff added. If you dissagree with me in some areas, please reply telling me what you think. I think Roblox Clouds could improvise the Roblox Engine, and it could grow a lot more.

63 Likes

Terrain Vegetation IS halfway out… They just need to add rocks and other stuff rather than just grass.

3 Likes

I know, that’s the part I was referring to. As of now it’s still not necessary “custom” since it’s only one default type, apart from the color change for it.

2 Likes

Thats strange when I did it it performed really well at a constant looking straight up60fps at highest settings. And I have a really bad specs, my specs are: 4gigs of ram, i5-3317U cpu 4 cores 4 threads with intel HD graphics 4000. It seems nicely optimized. And looking straight up at it with other stuff in the scene so I can see the frame drop. With its like 28 fps and without its like 37 fps.

Why do some people already have access to clouds?

Glad to see Roblox sticking to the roadmap, that’s always a relief. :wink:

3 Likes

They are sort of modding the files with CloneTrooper’s program

1 Like

I wonder if you could like stack clouds, that would be cool

3 Likes

It’s already confirmed to move and I’ve seen it with my own two eyes that it is indeed going to move. Although I do wish we can alter the speeds

In clonetroopers program search up “RenderClouds” and you should find it.

This is gonna bring out so many ideas and styles of games. More creative ways to use clouds and maybe will go towards realistic games.

Everyone waited this for years! Thank you :smiley: :clap:

1 Like

I can’t seem to find the cloud object under workspace.

Very nice! This will definitely add a huge amount of depth to most games on Roblox!

Just wondering, how are these clouds going to be rendered? Are they using the GPU or some other nice method?

I know it says Clouds will launch next week as a “beta feature,” but what does this mean exactly? Will it be live in games, or only in studio? Also, will it be accessible for everyone or only opt-in?

Quick question:
Will these clouds be able to cast shadows?

4 Likes

You need to have Roblox Studio Mod Manager and switch it to sitetest2 and edit the “RenderClouds” flag.

2 Likes

I feel like Roblox terrain will never be the same again, especially with the new terrain blending and all of these visual improvements!
Very excited to see them in action! Just hoping for some optimization