Easiest Way to make Hair in Blender

Easiest Way to make Hair in Blender

Heyyyy! I’ve had a few people message me on how UGC Creators or how I make hair in, “Blender”. Which is a 3D Modeling Program, etc. It’s completely free for those who wanna give it a go. Please, keep in mind that nothing comes with ease in 1 day. Everything requires constant practice to better yourself at what you do. I know there’s several post on how to go about making hair on blender such as: How to make Hair in Blender ;but here’s my version.
Blender: https://www.blender.org/
Remember with constant practice you’ll perfect your modeling skills!

There’s a much easier way to go about making hair using similar modifiers.
Useful Keys:
E = Extrude
A = Select All
S = Scale (X, Y, Z)
CTRL + R = Loopcut
Z = Wire frame Mode
TAB = Edit Mode
B = Drag to select multiple vertices/faces/edges
SHIFT + A = Add Menu (Mesh > Cylinder)
1 = Vertex Select; 2 = Edge Select; 3 = Face Select

START:

*Once you’ve got your cylinder in place, you’ll want to give it 2 loop cuts near the bottom to give you room to scale the top of the cylinder downwards and later extrude and scale it to make a proper root for hair. You’ll want to do all of this in, “Edit Mode”, by hitting “TAB” On your keyboard.

*Then you’ll want to smooth shade it and mark the seams. You’ll be able to do that by select all of the mesh and using your RightMouseButton to click on “Shade Smooth” and or click the “Face” button and select “Shade Smooth”

You can then hit the Green Triangle and add “Normals > Auto Smooth” This helps you create in-depth faces without creating doubles. You can also change the angle of your mesh.

Now, you’ll want to scale the bottom faces of your mesh in.
Now you want to edge select some of the edges on your mesh and make them sharp for a realistic feel to your hair, you can also scale it in depending on the hair your creating.

Your Officially Done with the root of the hair. Now, to create the actual strands of hair, my favorite part! :smiley:
Add (Mesh > Cube > Scale it down)

Here’s the fun part: (Get Into Edit Mode)
Add a Modifier called, “Subdivision Surface”

It’s going to give you this weird shaped mesh that you probably don’t want, not to worry what you want to do is select a face on the cube and Extrude that face! (You can also rotate that face using the key (R + Y); We’ll also want to mirror our mesh so it forms on both axis. So, let’s add that modifier in Edit Mode: It’s called; “Mirror”

• Now, you can scale the edges of the cube and play around with it to give it strands of hair.
    You’ll want to repeat the same step for the root, (Smooth Shade > Normals (Auto Smooth)"

Lastly, you can create the the back and other strands using the same step, when you scale the cubes edges it has an effect on that “Weird Mesh”!
Have Fun Creating your wonderful hairs, if you find this resource useful post your different hairs in reply! I’d love to check it out! :smiley:

If you have any question you can message me through the forum or on twitter. @Ayzilo_o
Thank you so much!
woman rig.obj (300.8 KB)
If you don’t know how to get the RIG, there it is above this sentence! Enjoy!!

61 Likes

This is such a great tutorial, thank you! It’s easy to follow and put well together so nicely. Bravo.

3 Likes

Thanks friend! Subdivisions ftw

4 Likes

This is an amazing tutorial! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Very good tutorial! Keep this up man! I’m not really used to Blender, so this will come into use in the future! Well done! :+1:

1 Like

Just a quick add on to this tutorial:

Something to try:
Add a weighted normal modifier to each mesh once your done with making the meshes and set the weight all the way up, it can make everything look nicer.

For if you don’t like five hundred billion vertices:
Add a decimate modifier to each mesh once your done with making the meshes and kind of destroy the vertices(better for performance, but not for looks).

1 Like

You can also select un-needed edges on the mesh and clear it:

It lowers your vert count! Very Helpful!!

2 Likes

Great tutorial! I was just learning how to use the mirror tool earlier and this is the perfect place to use it! This tutorial is probably not meant for super beginners. If you want to make it more for super beginners, I suggest going more in detail and adding shortcuts.

A way to improve this is to add the shortcuts and/or buttons for loop cuts, extrude and scaling. (If you wanted it to be usable for super beginners.)

1 Like

I’ll continue adding on for super beginners to get the hang of blender, thank you got the suggestion!

4 Likes

I tried…
:joy:

3 Likes

That’s pretty hawt for a first time hair, make sure to continue practicing to improve that skill and it’ll look 100 times better! :smiley: I’m just happy you got the generic overview for how we go about making hair in blender.

2 Likes

Really good topic you made there bud. This helped me a lot.

1 Like

<3 very helpful sir. cant wait to see more!

1 Like