Elttob Reclass — flow between instance types

This is by far the best looking Reclass plugin I have seen in a while, I’ve used a lot of different reclass plugins in the past month ( I swear 10 different ones have been released in the last month alone).
But by far this one looks the cleanest, and most useful one I’ve seen in a while.

I look forward to trying it out soon! (Time to go grab the ol credit card lol)

Thank you for your wonderful and amazing work as always!
Have a good day~
~ Frodev

2 Likes

I guess I’m gonna be the dissenter here. I think the plugins you make are cool and I’m not trying to devalue that.
However:

Can you give any details on how this works? I find it ironic that the primary advocate for fair plugin pricing is doing crazy stuff like releasing an update for a plugin that not only costs 2 thirds of its price but is advertised as a “permanent sale” - which contradicts an earlier passage on the website about mindless consumerism.

Telling people who paid $15 to “wait and see” is sort of mind-boggling. Also, this info is the way at the bottom of the website, which is essentially unknown to the average user.
I’m missing the point of why this wasn’t an update in the first place, although I’d assume it’s a similar reason to why subscription tactics work so well. If you’re going to make it a separate plugin, at LEAST provide a link to where the user can expect an update on this policy, whether it be via Twitter, Devforum, email, anything. If I was a previous customer I would feel ripped off. End of story.

6 Likes

The intention of Last Minute is to reimburse people who purchase something right before an announcement of EOL. Nothing has reached EOL today so nothing applies today, Reclass classic remains fully available today and will remain available while all the kinks of Elttob Reclass are hammered out. I’m not going to accelerate that timeline because it’d be reckless to force people onto a new and untested codebase - there have been incidents all over the news of tech companies doing this and ruining their users’ experience, and I have no intention of doing the same. Stability first.

It isn’t a flash sale. I take issue with people who put things on sale all the time just to be on sale. This is less a sale and more a price cut. I did this in direct response to user feedback that they thought Reclass classic was too expensive and I wanted to better serve them.

2 Likes

You can check the code bases. There is zero common code, and even from a feature list perspective, the recommender algorithms ingest a totally different data format, saves user history differently, and whole features have been removed without a direct 1:1 replacement.

Great! You should tell people that though. Nothing about the “classic” title suggests it’s still being supported.

So then why is it even public in the first place - and paid? - without a warning?

It’s essentially an update to a previous plugin version, I see no reason why this is even paid in the first place and not just a version bump of the existing Reclass.

So the solution was to… charge them an extra 10 dollars?

4 Likes

I mentioned this directly on the Studio Elttob twitter account in the main announcement thread and explicitly do not mark any of the existing versions as legacy or obsolete for exactly this reason.

Because software isn’t perfect. Issues will always crop up beyond what any internal testing can capture and it’s reckless to try and guarantee a flawless day one launch. It’s just good contingency.

Knowing about the ObjectValue and undoing issues with the old plugin. Can these be fixed and updated on the old plugin? I get this plugin is a whole new one, but I don’t think leaving the old plugin in a somewhat broken state is fair. Especially a game breaking one like with ObjectValues.

Not to mention the old plugin costs money now, even more than the new one. Why not make the old plugin cheaper at that point? Also, those two bugs should’ve been at least fixed before making the plugin not free. At least in my eyes, because this hurts the consumer who buys it for actual money more, and makes the product seem less worth it.

That being said, the new plugin does look cool though!

2 Likes

This is not my point. They both provide the same purpose and the code doesn’t matter. Reclass Classic is more buggy, why not just update the plugin people already bought? Also, what the dude above me said is valid too.

Also, you ignored most of my points.

7 Likes

Why is it tucked away on Twitter and not on the homepage of the plugin itself? I really don’t know how I would’ve known to check that had I not directly asked.

You aren’t wrong at all, but if it’s stable enough to release for a fee, how is it simultaneously too unstable to be reliant in comparison to the previous one? I feel like that could be seen as scummy to the people that paid money for the original.

4 Likes

If you’d like, I can host a live session and you can grill me on this directly. I’d be happy to do that.

2 Likes

I’m not trying to grill you. I know I come off as annoying in text but I truly am trying to be respectful here. It’s just a weird way to market/sell products to people and you seem to be dodging that conclusion.

4 Likes

Oh no I don’t mean that in a negative connotation! But seriously, I’d be happy to talk about this more publicly than just DevForum replies if it’s something that’s tripping people up.

1 Like

Some clarification on your main site would be nice. If anything I think a much better way to go about this would be making the new Reclass a temporary beta - that can stay paid for early access - while the kinks are worked out and an explanation of how that pricing model/beta state works. Once the testing period ends you can either migrate back to the “classic” one (with a name change obviously) or just give everyone who has that plugin a license to the new one (like what you already were talking about). I know what you’re trying to do here but it should be more obvious what exactly you’re buying. I know if I saw that plugin with no context I would think it’s just an entirely separate purchase and have no clue that it’s in spirit just a paid early access plugin since it’ll be free to all previous owners once it’s deemed stable.

2 Likes

So we’re bamboozling old buyers and new buyers at the same time

(This bamboozled me space out your sentences pls)

attention span moment frfr

1 Like

I’ll make sure to post extra clarification around this in more prominent places next week. Thanks for raising the issue.

No problem, glad you’re taking the steps to fix it

Fair enough but with the major bugs in reclass classic I doubt people are able to use it for stuff they want to use it for anyways, so the new bugs probably wouldn’t be as bad as the old bugs. Thank you so much for clarifying, but now people that have bought both this and the old reclass technically didn’t know they’d be getting it for free because this wasn’t stated on devforum or marketplace.

On the off-note, do you ever plan to remove those annoying print statements from Atmos before you add it to the suite too?

Honestly, for a lot of people it doesn’t matter as much. The most pressing issue was to do with attributes, undo a little less, but beyond that this comes down to more edge case territory. I’d need to have a good reason to backport the fixes given that things like reference analysis are actually significantly more difficult to implement, requiring careful handling of a lot of references and tracking instances throughout the whole place. I’d rather invest in one good implementation.

1 Like

I don’t know why people are upset about paying for a complete rework, it definitely took a lot of your time and effort, and you deserve to get compensated. Existing users get to keep the product they bought, and if they feel like they want to get the new major version of the program, which received significant upgrade, both visually and functionality wise, they can, but they are not required to. It’s much better than paying for monthly subscription regardless of whether you use the product, or if it received any significant improvements to justify the cost. I think it’s fair, speaking from my perspective as a plugin developer.

3 Likes