Emission map support on SurfaceAppearances

At the very least, they could post something like.
“We are aware of this request”
and even better follow that up with

“We are not interested in adding this at this time.”
or
“This is something we are interested in adding, but it is not priority”
or
“This is something we are working on”

5 Likes

bump. there are FAR too many instances where hacky solutions are necessary for something so rudimentary, this one especially.

9 Likes

Bumping this again as I was once again affected by the lack of this relatively standard feature of PBR. I imported a nice spaceship model that had an emissive map bundled in. Space being mostly black, an emissive texture could greatly vary up how the surface of the spaceship looks.

Of course, Roblox sadly has a substandard PBR engine, so this texture is only as useful as a marker of where to manually place lights, reducing the quality of the model overall. The lack of any acknowledgement from Roblox that they are or are not going to be adding this is just salt in the wound at this point.

11 Likes

Giving access to an emission value and having a node based shader creator would be amazing. Something like shader graph in Unity would enable so many different art styles.

4 Likes

This would make roblox games much more diverse and beautiful!

This was mentioned in the AMA, it’s on their long term roadmaps

8 Likes

it really feels like something too important to not be in active development… roblox needs normal engine parity

8 Likes

Bump. Emission maps now! I’ve yet to meet a single soul that is playing roblox becuase of it’s quality. This feature has been available on other engines for over 2 decades!

5 Likes

SUPER BUMP
Been needing this for a very, very long time now.

3 Likes

iwantitnow

20 Likes

bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump

5 Likes

why do we have facial tracking but no emission maps1!1!!!

8 Likes

I would like to see emission maps implemented as well. It’s been two years since this was first requested. In that time, we have various new features, some of which in my opinion, are mostly useless and Roblox development resources could have been better utilized elsewhere, like implementing this feature.

3 Likes

Spent 4 hours yesterday hacking together a system using lights to attempt to create an effect like this, works but barely, so annoying that I had to spend hours on something that should had been a drag and drop feature.

It’s worth noting that these ‘tricks’ also don’t work if there is a humanoid present in the model, making it impossible to use these tricks on player characters. In fact, characters clamp all RGB values that expand beyond 255,255,255 with the exception of neon.

3 Likes

Weird that they won’t implement this, even if they have emission in the lava material.

12 Likes

There may be some sort of technical issue as to why they don’t implement this. I wish that someone from Roblox would chime in on this. There’s other features that people have been requesting for years but they seem to have fallen on deaf ears.

3 Likes

You can work around this by increasing bloom and metalness on that area.

1 Like

You can also try using a Alpha SurfaceAppearance for this and duplicate the mesh as Neon Material under it. You would have to inset it in blender I think or Roblox will do it for you since it’s an Alpha.

1 Like

I doubt there is any technical issue, if it’s there on lava it can be added on MeshParts because terrain still uses triangles.

1 Like

Yes!! Let’s make a very high triangle model 100x more difficult to have emission because Roblox refuses to add a simple feature :(((

1 Like