Empty key DataStore requests filling queue

All servers for Bee Swarm Simulator have logs filled with this message (beginning some time last night):

DataStore request was added to queue. If request queue fills, further requests will be dropped. Try sending fewer requests. Key =

As far as I’m aware, all DataStore requests in Bee Swarm Sim go through a ModuleScript that manages them, so I used that to search all requests. I was unable to find any save or load request using a nil string or a string with a length of 0 or 1. This also became a problem suddenly without any changes to the DataStore system. It’s causing other DataStore requests to stall or fail but I can’t figure out the cause.

I’ve seen this error pop up in the past when DataStores were having problems in general / for all games and I’m wondering if it’s an issue on my end I’m not seeing or if there’s just something going on with DataStores.

Edit: Another thing to note is it’s not happening in the test place, only the release one.

Edit2: I’ve found the specific DataStore causing the error - a global config file that all servers load that I think was overwritten with a nil value at some point by an automated script I use to run a periodic in game event. The only confusion I have now is why the warning was for an empty key when the only key being used was “GlobalConfig”. Sorry for the false alarm!

10 Likes

It would be nice if these sort of warnings also included the originating source

2 Likes

Last time I looked into this, when no key is specified, it means you are being throttled on request types that are not associated with a key. This would be GetSortedAsync and AdvanceToNextPageAsync.

I made a feature request for improving throttling warnings here:

Please add use cases there if you have something that isn’t covered already (such as including originating source like @Crazyman32 mentions above)

3 Likes