[ENABLED as of May 28] SocialService Game Invites are Live

You could also unfriend the player, or just tell the player to stop.

2 Likes

Should be good to turn on sometime this week after mobile clients upgrade. I’ll be updating the original post with details when that happens.

15 Likes

Is this re-enabled? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

There will most likely be an announcement when developers decide to re-enable this feature.

be_nj will post when it’s re-enabled so just track the thread, and it seems it’s this week as he said roughly three days ago so I’m guessing this weekend :smile:

Thanks for everyone’s interest!

So some good news, I’m currently in the process of rolling out this feature. This is a gradual rollout since it affects an existing feature (Invite Friends to Play from ESC menu) and it looks like the first steps of the rollout are here to stay.

I was able to proceed with the next step of rollout which was turning on the feature for Studio users. This means the feature is available to play around with in Roblox Studio if you wanted to start to get your hands on it.

I’ll reiterate this on the OP as well:

We’ve made the decision to change the GameInvitePromptClosed event to only return an empty table. We still want to support all of the usecases originally intended for the feature, however these features will require larger changes if we wish to properly support them in a responsible and healthy manner.

Thank you for your understanding on this change

7 Likes

Sooo now we can’t see who was invited or how many people were invited?

4 Likes

That’s what it sounds like. Honestly, I think this had to be disabled until there are more restrictions regarding this system such as rate limits and the ability for users to disable invites (if they don’t want to receive them). Just a few days after the rollout, games were allowing users to (literally) spam sending invites in exchange for in-game rewards.

2 Likes

If it is the case then there is literally no reason to use this API since it’s exactly the same as the ESC screen friend invites without that table of friends invited.

1 Like

I think this api still has quite a bit of utility if you use it as a way to remind your players that they could be inviting their friends, doing your marketing essentially for you.

2 Likes

Not necessarily true, you can still have a pop-up in-game: Enjoy the game? Compete with friends.

What I’m saying is, it may not be a completed API, but it is definitely useful even if the players won’t receive compensation.

1 Like

Pretty sure it was done just to curve abuse by developers using incentives so people only only invite they want to play instead of just spamming every person in their friends list for rewards which is good for the developer but not for the community as a whole.

5 Likes

I’m guessing this is live again?

EDIT: Nope still not live

It’s coming up 2 months since this was disabled. Can this please be re enabled? If someone is spamming you with invites, they’re probably not a good friend.

It’s rather annoying and limiting innovation to keep turning this on and off and making devs answer questions they simply don’t know the answer to

• Should I add this now? With the past API, and just have a switch to turn it on and off?
  • Should I wait?
  • Will this ever be a feature?
  • What changes will they make when its re-enabled?

Or failing reenabling, can we at least get an update on what’s going on with SocialService invites?

3 Likes

Instead of rewarding people for sending invites, why not allow us to reward people for sending successful invites, like how we can handle people following friends into games right now? It disincentivises mindless spamming since you actually have to convince them to play the game.

1 Like

FollowPlayerID already exists. Additionally, its hard to measure a successful invite.

• What if they just remembered the name and joined later?
  • What if they didn’t join via the chat widget
  • What if they saw the chat then pressed Follow
  • What if the user got invites from multiple different people?

Nothing was wrong with this system. If a friend’s spamming you with invites, they’re not a very good friend.

There’s no way this system was good enough. People were complaining in volumes. I see your point but with this many people complaining about the update it just doesn’t hold. It was clearly degrading the user experience and it had to go. I know it sucks but it’s better that way.

I think it works great with FollowPlayerId personally, it would be a very natural implementation of this feature as following from invite is identical to following from profile in almost every way. It would be nice to get a response from staff about their thoughts on the ideas on these threads and what they’re currently looking at to provide a better compromise for developers and players.

1 Like

As I said before, this system just can’t be used until users can at least have the option to disable invites (they won’t receive invites from friends).

I think that until this feature is added, this API should be enabled but the function which checks if user joined using invite should be disabled (this will stop invite rewards/spamming for now).

3 Likes

Any updates on this issue? Was it solved?

Just discovered something and not too sure if it was mentioned before, but Player.FollowUserId is 0 when accepting somebodies game invite (using the ROBLOX Esc menu).

I have a party system in my game and it would be nice if the FollowUserId matches the player who invited their friends so that players who accept invites are automatically added to the right party based on FollowUserId

4 Likes