[ENABLED as of May 28] SocialService Game Invites are Live

Instead of rewarding people for sending invites, why not allow us to reward people for sending successful invites, like how we can handle people following friends into games right now? It disincentivises mindless spamming since you actually have to convince them to play the game.

1 Like

FollowPlayerID already exists. Additionally, its hard to measure a successful invite.

• What if they just remembered the name and joined later?
  • What if they didn’t join via the chat widget
  • What if they saw the chat then pressed Follow
  • What if the user got invites from multiple different people?

Nothing was wrong with this system. If a friend’s spamming you with invites, they’re not a very good friend.

There’s no way this system was good enough. People were complaining in volumes. I see your point but with this many people complaining about the update it just doesn’t hold. It was clearly degrading the user experience and it had to go. I know it sucks but it’s better that way.

I think it works great with FollowPlayerId personally, it would be a very natural implementation of this feature as following from invite is identical to following from profile in almost every way. It would be nice to get a response from staff about their thoughts on the ideas on these threads and what they’re currently looking at to provide a better compromise for developers and players.

1 Like

As I said before, this system just can’t be used until users can at least have the option to disable invites (they won’t receive invites from friends).

I think that until this feature is added, this API should be enabled but the function which checks if user joined using invite should be disabled (this will stop invite rewards/spamming for now).

3 Likes

Any updates on this issue? Was it solved?

Just discovered something and not too sure if it was mentioned before, but Player.FollowUserId is 0 when accepting somebodies game invite (using the ROBLOX Esc menu).

I have a party system in my game and it would be nice if the FollowUserId matches the player who invited their friends so that players who accept invites are automatically added to the right party based on FollowUserId

4 Likes

This feature should be enabled in Studio as well as live servers as of this morning.

Additionally:

5 Likes

Looks like its working well, I think jetpack simulator is using it.

Can we have a way to check if the player invited at least 1 player? Or could this still be abused?

Title still says its disabled. Also might want to change the API documentation here (and maybe the wiki as well?) that the table returns empty now.

2 Likes

Says it’s enabled for me.

3 Likes

Says it is enabled for me too.

Is there anyway to invite players directly into a lobby?

For example, in my game, there’s a lobby system for Capture the Flag and Team Deathmatch. I have a “Invite Friends” button at the bottom of the playerlist, and I want it so you can invite your friends directly into a lobby with you.

I’m not sure if this is even possible now, due to what seems to be the removal of “GamePromptClosed.”

I like this, thank you! this is very good, for roblox

Withdrawn Thanks for Clarification Krunnie. Much Appreciated.

1 Like

He mentioned that recently. Just scroll up a little bit.

Edit: No problem, Goat! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Following the launch of SocialService game invites, I’ve started getting “illegal teleport destination” errors. This wasn’t happening before and completely breaks our matchmaking system.

Perhaps it’s just a coincidence but it was working fine before and now it isn’t. Did something change with calling Teleport to Place Instance from the server?

2 Likes

I remember Pet Ranch Simulator just spammed us all with invitations. Apparently if you invite a few friends to that game, you get cool rewards, and the person that was invited got the rewards, too, but smaller IIRC.
So basically my friends were using me for rewards in a simulator. :wut:

BUT it was a cool way of advertising, in fact, it was one of the first major uses of SocialService Game Invites, and I don’t want to spread hate, by the way, I was just annoyed with it at the time. And now I think back to that moment today. :happy1:

1 Like

Can anyone verify if the person joining on the invite link has their friends FollowUserId because I’m starting to think it’s 0 because players are complaining that it doesn’t work.

1 Like

FollowUserId will only not be 0 if the game is launched from a join button flow (this can be done in Chat from a button labeld “Join” or the profile page “Join” button.) This feature does not create a Join button flow for invitations. This would be something we would like to support in the future.

This is likely a coincidence, teleport flows should not be affected by this change.

Unfortunately this is no longer possible with the latest changes made to GamePromptClosed, however you should be able to use FollowUserId if the user is joining from a Join button from the website. As mentioned earlier having invitation feature a Join button instead of a Play button is something we’d like to support in the future.