EnableMouseLockOption should NOT be deprecated

As a Roblox developer, it is currently to hard to take control of the “Mouse Lock” option in the Roblox game-settings of my experience, this is because the StarterPlayer.EnableMouseLockOption was recently deprecated and hidden from the explorer making it very difficult to make this setting not available to players.

The suggested alternatives of RegisterTouchCameraMovementMode , RegisterComputerCameraMovementMode and MouseBehavior do not disable the “Shift Lock” option of the Roblox game-settings menu and as a result are not a replacement of this property.

These alternatives are also incorrect! StarterPlayer.EnableMouseLockOption does not enable or disable shift-lock, this property enables and disables the ability to shift-lock, the alternatives do not fill the purpose of disabling the ability shift-lock but rather just the ability to enable or disable shift-lock.

If this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience because I would be more easily able to disable shift-lock in my experiences!

18 Likes

Yes, this is certainly a workaround for now yet this is still not ideal nor do the alternatives supersede the old-property in any way like the documentation suggests

7 Likes

Was this actually deprecated though and if so where was it announced? Cause I disabled shift lock for my game a long time ago and I just noticed the property is gone

Are we sure this is not a bug and actually deprecated? If so then I support this!

2 Likes

It was not officially announced yet is listed as deprecated on the following page: EnableMouseLockOption

4 Likes

Seems like it was unintentionally deprecated because the deprecated tag was removed on zIntegration not too long ago.

7 Likes

What did you use to get this information?

There’s a tool you can use to compare the api dumps of different channels.

Just came across this because my team was freaking out over figuring out how to turn off mouse lock in our game that does not require it at all. Really an unreasonable change since there’s no other visual setting to quickly adjust this and we have to resort to using code per player. Really odd move.

3 Likes

u can still access it but only via commanline

game:GetService('StarterPlayer').EnableMouseLockOption=false

If you read the post, you’d know we want to be able to control whether it’s enabled or not. We don’t just want to disable it with a script. And not everybody can script, so they need the setting. Please keep disrespectful comments like this to yourself, or find a better way to express it.

7 Likes

Please read my post again, it explains how solutions (such as this one) do not solve the issue:

2 Likes

Didn’t even know this was getting depreciated.

I highly urge Roblox to not push forward with this, since the solutions that Roblox have pointed out are clearly not suitable and they need to bring a better solution.

Might have to push out an update to DisableCoreGUIFunctions removing the shift lock removal thing due to this being depreciated :sob:

1 Like

My previous post clearly does solve the issue of MouseLockOptionEnabled not being there, just because it is still an option in the menu doesn’t matter that much as it doesn’t work. Also, eventually they will implement something, I’m sure of it, so that it disables the display of the button like it matter lmao

For clarity reasons to players, I would obviously prefer the option to be hidden, this is still a regression in functionality.

3 Likes

If you want to have control over whether the ‘Mouse Lock’ option is enabled or not, you can consider creating your own mouse lock using the new function that replaced the deprecated ‘EnableMouseLockOption.’ By implementing a custom solution, you can achieve the desired control.

Therefore, you can MouseLock in any position of the screen and make it a lot better than the standard mouse Lock… This way, you can have direct control over the mouse lock functionality, although the option in the menu won’t allow switching it on.

… Okay? This is still different behavior. I don’t care about extra functionality, I could’ve coded my own mouselock system before this change if I really wanted. It is still a decrease in control over mouse locking. We lose the control to change how it appears in the menu.

4 Likes

It’s not so much a scripting issue, it’s more so that they took out a feature with no announcement and no actual gain for doing so. Also, that script is incredibly inefficient when a literal boolean toggle was its replacement.

4 Likes

Its still deprecated and will not be updated. Just like Frame.Draggable

2 Likes

I think roblox undone the change

3 Likes

This was un-done in Studio yet the documentation still states it is deprecated and suggests incorrect alternatives, therefore it is not 100% fixed yet.

2 Likes