Entire servers crashing randomly "Error Code: 277"

Servers on a game I script for have been crashing since late last week, giving the “Error Code: 277” message. From what I and other players can observe, this happens upon CharacterRemoving (though “CharacterRemoving” has no connections aside core ones) and causes every player to crash from the server. None of the listed fixes for connection errors have helped with this issue either. What can I do about this problem?

4 Likes

Some information I forgot to add, the error occurs anywhere from minutes to hours into playing.

1 Like

277 is usually caused because the client is no longuer able to communicate with the server.

How did you figure out it was caused by a CharacterRemoving event? And if it is caused by that, have you tried to search all scripts in the game for connections to it using the search results tool?

1 Like

Well, whenever a server crash occurs in the game there’s usually a player who died or their character was reloaded, which stays true even on a VIP Server alone. That leads us to believe it’s something to do with CharacterRemoving, since it happens right before the character would respawn and crashes before they can. As for checking through the scripts, I did a search for CharacterAdded and not many results came up, the ones that did being core scripts.

1 Like

While it may seem related, having the crash occur right before a player would respawn does not mean that it is caused by characterremoving. What is most likely though, is that on the server side causes everyone to time out. Are you able to replicate it in studio or see the activity of certain scripts before that occurs?

1 Like

I am not sure what’s happening, but I have two ways of saying what’s happening:

• Your connection to the server has died
  • Maybe your CharacterRemoving script had something that make it crash…?
  • Something hacky is happening that is causing the server to lose connection and so every player has been disconnected.

I don’t think someone here can help you, so I suggest contacting Roblox Support.

1 Like

I’ll look into if anything seems out of the ordinary when testing in studio rn

1 Like

I contacted them earlier today (yesterday?) about it, and they got back to me with fixes when it’s an individual issue, but it’s happening to a lot of players and crashing whole servers. Hopefully they get back to me on it again tomorrow, though

1 Like

Do you reckon this would be any concern?

https://i.gyazo.com/a6581fd9be1ed9096a7df9551542c726.mp4

1 Like

Does the game have any vulnerable remote instances that may be accessible to exploiters? It’s a pretty common case for them to constantly fire instances in order to time out the server’s latency and eventually make everyone lose connection.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s what would be crashing it, as it happens quite a lot even in private servers…

Perhaps your game might be experiencing excessive memory leak, causing the server to lag out? There are many factors that can contribute to this.

How would I go about finding the cause of the memory leak?

Memory leaks are usually caused when you are firing too many remote events too quickly or doing other actions that the server might not like. Check this post for a solution:

It appears that many games are getting frequently DDoS’ed, which means that malicious users are intentionally sending tons and tons of packets of data to the server in order to crash it, hence error code 277. I have also experienced this a lot recently.

Ah, I see. Do we just have to wait on Roblox to do something about it?

Probably, I don’t know if Roblox will beef up the security on servers or the data handling method but we can only hope that a (permanent) fix is being implemented soon.

1 Like

Would the DDoS attacks effect every server or just the one the exploiter is in though?

Just the one they’re in will be affected.

I see, I doubt that’d be the issue in the case for my game since it happens to people in small private servers with nobody exploiting and stuff.