Enum ServerPriority

It’s been a while since the post was made and it seem to be well received at the time.

It appears that something like this is still wanted throughout the community. This would circumvent having to shutdown all servers for an update (which I think it not allowed on xbox). I think Roblox’s official matchmaking handles stuff like new updates and slowly phases out old servers on its own, however this could be used beyond that. This would allow the developer full control of proper times for new players to join a server.

Bonus points if we could somehow query this Enum via JobId for TeleportService magic…

(x-post Unlock :Shutdown())

Branching off of this:
I think we should set up a Server Priority with 1 of 3 Enum values. (names debatable)

Enum.ServerPriority.Normal --functions as of now with players filtering in and out

Enum.ServerPriority.None --no players can join the game from hitting the big green play button (or maybe even the server list and prevents following?) Good for trying to kill off a server. Simply change the priority and kick all.

Enum.ServerPriority.Low --potentially unneeded? players can join this game, however servers with Normal priority will be filled first. This is good if you want to have the big green play button send your players to a Normal priority server (if players are waiting for the next round in a round based game) and still allows players to either manually select the server in the server browser or follow via profile (may be set to low during the end of a round or competitive games)

This still allows us to kill off a server (No priority and kick all) and solves some basic match making issues when it comes to the big ol green button.

19 Likes

More x-post stuff from @KerriNouveau

That’d be a really nice feature to have for so many of the round based games I see.

1 Like

Yeah, this is my major compliant with round games. I always seem to join the server in the middle of a long round.

I think it’d support a new genre for roblox in general. Now we could have long strategic matches (20 minutes?) or do something that can takes hours (think COD zombies) without complicated teleport stuff.

5 Likes