EnvMap probe being placed underneath the floor

Repro steps:

1. Download the ReproFile.rbxl()
  2. Angle the camera as shown below:

Expected behaviour:
The reflection “probe” should be placed roughly in the center of the room, as described in Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps Beta:

Actual behaviour:

Occasionally, the envmap probe will appear to be placed underneath the floor.

First experienced: 3rd June, 2023
Last experienced: 6th June, 2023

Unrelated, but the reflection also looks way brighter than the actual environment. It looks to not be using the proper shadows, and is stuck on the low-quality voxels. This looks pretty jarring, and should probably be looked at.

2 Likes

We’ve filed a ticket into our internal database for this issue, and we will update you when we have further information!

Thanks for the report!

4 Likes

This bug is still occurring on the 24th of July, 2023, 39 days later.

1 Like

This issue appears to have been resolved, but it would be nice if the EnvMaps used the correct lighting.

2 Likes

@LightSettingsGuy I know this bug report is resolved, but do you think this was fixed with the env map upgrades?

I believe this particular edge case was fixed with the improvements. I suspect that if you load the level with the exact coordinates facing the ground, you could still get a probe under the floor. The envmap system uses the camera’s focus point a few studs away from the camera by default.

A hack I have found to prevent this could be to make the ground deeper to prevent there being space if the focus point of the camera happens to be in a different room to the camera. At the time of placement, I believe there must be an unobstructed straight line between the focus point and the probe coordinates.

I could take a look, @Judgy_Oreo, but the reprofile is no longer available for me to download. If you could reupload it, that would be great.

2 Likes

Hmm, that’s odd, it appears to be downloadable for me. Nevertheless,

envmap_reflection_probe_placement.rbxl (194.3 KB)

I also found this file from hell that I made about a year ago:

reflectmad.rbxl (130.0 KB)

This probably doesn’t come off as a thanks, given that I’ve just shown you several more problems with what you seem to be working on that would probably require an entire overhaul of how the system works, but I’m glad that someone (or maybe many ones) are trying to improve the environment maps :happy1:

2 Likes

You’ve been civil with me so think nothing of it. I really appreciate getting more context. Unfortunately, these days, I spend more time on engine features versus making games on the engine, so a dev’s workflow’s edge cases escape my attention at times. You are providing valuable information for a system I’m working to improve for y’all.

1 Like

I’ve asked for this before, but would it be possible to have an option to disable EnvMaps (fully) separately from the current solution (turning EnvironmentSpecularScale to 0 - which im not even sure if this fully disables envmaps, just turns their transparency to 1).

I’ve made a feature request about it

It should be pretty easy to add, no?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.