Expanding the Skin Tone Color Picker

why isnt it on the website
you liars

2 Likes

Underestimating the capabilities of the user is something Roblox has a chronic issue with so much that “too complicated” has become a meme, and it’s deeply, deeply infuriating. The section is literally titled “Advanced”, but all it does is add per-part color selection with the same heavily-constrained individual slider. Don’t delude yourself into defending Roblox on this, it’s simply an insulting design choice by people who think that the average user will panic if they see too many controls, and cannot comprehend RGB sliders, HSV sliders, a hex input, a color wheel, etc. I guarantee you almost every single human being on earth has seen a color wheel at least once, especially kids because they are way more exposed to creative software on a regular basis. And FWIW it’s unlikely they’ve dumbed it down so much because of character aesthetic reasons - developers could just build their own avatar editors with full access to any color. And for safety reasons we also have a forced modesty layer.

Designing for the lowest common denominator as though they are incapable of learning anything is not the way to go. A slider for saturation and value are very sufficient and not at all confusing; HSV is an incredibly usable way to represent color, especially if the sliders update as you change the color. So I simply do not understand the reasoning here.

4 Likes

I didn’t say anything about HSV… an especially not HSV sliders, those are easy to use any many programs use it. I was referring to people above who were asking for a HEX code box to paste in hex codes, even if you knew what HEX codes where it would be hard to use on mobile, it adds space for something that is hard to use.

1 Like

Hence why it seems nonsense. People are asking for RGB options or whatever, this is a misnomer and not worth your time to argue specifically against - they’re actually asking for full color spectrum options, and the form of them doesn’t matter. Saying it would be too complicated to include them is not true.

1 Like

If Hexadecimal values were available in the advanced tab on the website that would be awesome…
In fact any sliver of this feature on the website would’ve been welcomed. :uhh:

1 Like

more colors will not ever be a bad thing, kinda a no-brainer

2 Likes

I was referring to, as I mentioned in both my comments, the people who wanted a system similar to Roblox Studio… where you could paste in hex codes and rgb values

The people above did specify features they thought were good ideas, I was commenting on that.

1 Like

I have attempted this theory myself:

It seems like Roblox has taken measures to prevent people from using similar skin tones to avoid the default clothing, which is great to see!

Here’s a theory into why Roblox hasn’t done custom RGB / HSV:

If people use similar RGB / HSV, that might break the default clothing and end up not showing up (leading to the person being in their birthday suit). What I assume is that the colour palettes that defy human skin tones have been giving the default clothing despite being different hues of the same palette. If RGB / HSV would be introduced, then they would have a lot more freedom and wouldn’t be stuck with the restrictions of that palette.

This is a theory of course, and even so, I do think there could be a solution to it (albeit it’d probably be a lot more sophisticated).

Regardless, I’m pretty happy with this update. Sure it’s not the most freeing to customize your avatar, but hey we have tons more options now!

4 Likes

Wow roblox, you’re really improving! Keep up the good updates and the good work! (Including the Classic Event!)

3 Likes

Make a reset to default button

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.