Experience Questionnaire Update - Age Recommendation Preview

It’s simply an industry-level standard for popular games to be rated (in North America, it’s ESRB). There’s absolutely nothing wrong with implementing a game rating feature that can make Roblox more professional, while also opening the door for higher age ratings that can increase the range of demographics and game genres Roblox can allow. On the contrary, just because you enjoyed playing more mature games as a child doesn’t apply to everyone. In general, these standards are set by individual countries and even parental control. You have no say in these matters, and it’s been agreed upon by the industry that these games are not suitable for children. Roblox is simply conforming to these standards that they have previously ignored, which should be a sign of progress.

10 Likes

Yeah good idea and all, but this still doesn’t stop people from creating 17+ and making them in lower age groups. So unless people actually care, this won’t make much of a difference.

2 Likes

I guess I dont understand. What is this point in rating your game if you dont have to?

3 Likes

Nice! I’m currently making a L4D Replica on Roblox. This update can 100% help me with creating a community.

2 Likes

PEGI & ESRB depending on region doesn’t rate online interactions. Roblox is being highly ambiguous to try to do so. Personally I think this update isn’t exactly needed as a third party online child protection service or commonly accepted ratings system (ESRB or PEGI or anything else) actually help Roblox with this cause Roblox isn’t known for handling the protection well of ANY party or age group nonetheless.

6 Likes

So if that doesnt exist, then is belgium and netherlands no longer to be able to play simulators if they block the game

1 Like

This is great, it seems like this will allow for some more lenient rules for games/experiences/whatever later on.

3 Likes

I think this is a good and bad idea.
I think its a good idea because parents do not want their 4 year old child to see someone being stabbed by someone else in MM2.
I also think it is bad because what if your game is aimed at 8-10 year olds and Roblox marks it down to 13+ for having a gun or a weapon in it, it just makes our jobs harder.

4 Likes

How far should we go to prevent people from circumventing region bans?

For example, let’s say I have a paid random item, and I prevent a user from being able to activate the prompt to purchase a developer product on the client via the use of the PolicyAPI. Then an exploiter bypasses this and purchases it anyway, is this against the newly defined restrictions?
Should I also check when handling the purchase on the server too?

2 Likes

I have a question for the blood/gore. What if your blood in game isn’t red but neon yellow? Does it still count as blood/gore if it ain’t red.

1 Like

I think so?

I think if ANY liquid comes out of a body after it has taken damage, it probably counts as blood.
Changing the color wouldn’t really change the fact that it’s blood, I just see it as a way to disguise it.

But if it’s let’s say… you fire a paintball gun and the splash/liquid has the same color as of what came outta the paintball gun, then it’s probs safe to assume that it’s paint.

The whole “Does it contain blood / violence” question is pretty vague, I agree they should be more clear on it.

But I think it’s safe to assume that even if a game contains a little splash of blood and has guns in it (even if no guns, let’s say it’s a surgeon game).
Even if very cartoony or unrealistic, it will probably (and probably should imo) get rated 13+.

6 Likes

Dont they have to do this legally?

1 Like

If they had to do it legally why didn’t they do it several years ago?

2 Likes

something i’ve been pondering about is; this “paid random items” thing, is that still applicable if it uses in-game currency that you cannot buy with robux in any way?

2 Likes

No, it isn’t applicable since the reason it is restricted is because some countries see it as a form of gambling. If it isn’t connected to Robux in any way, there’s nothing of real-world value to be gambled, so it is not considered paid random items.

5 Likes

I 100% agree with you and I think there is a check/could easily be added to the Policy API.
Already works fine for paid item training, off site links and such.

2 Likes

I dont know to be honest, since roblox is roblox

2 Likes

Or even better, don’t have lootboxes/gatcha in your game! That stuff is scummy.

6 Likes

I do agree with this, its just a way to make money

3 Likes

Well, for the time being, experiences can’t have content intended for adults only, as that would be against the Terms and Conditions. This doesn’t mean that your experience can contain cuss words and so on.

1 Like