Experience Questionnaire Update - Age Recommendation Preview

Another common roblox L. Not surprising.

1 Like

No word on that yet. We have to wait until some time in the future when this would be made clearer.

3 Likes

I have a good question!

Lootboxes are not allowed in Belgium, Korea and The Netherlands (where Iā€™m from) because it costs money, but does it count if itā€™s free or costs in game coins or cash? Thank you -MattVSNNL

2 Likes

2023 Update: Hey developers! We launched Experience Guidelines in September 2022. Currently, Age Recommendations are visible to users and the Experience Questionnaire are available to all creators whose accounts are at least 30 days old to generate Guidelines for their experiences. We ask that you complete the questionnaire as soon as possible.

6 Likes

Pretty sure only lootboxes that can be purchased with robux in any way are not allowed in those countries. Thus lootboxes that cost in-game currencies are allowed unless those currencies can be purchased with robux. In that case it would still be considered a ā€œpaid random itemā€ since someone could buy the in-game currency with robux to purchase the lootbox.

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

2 Likes

I have a question.
If we add any feature in our experience like random paid items, but we disable it in its Non-Compliant Regions (Belgium, Netherlandsā€¦), will our experience be available in those countries?

2 Likes

Still a lot of gray area around this rule!

2 Likes

Does this count

Basically there will be random character that you could buy and every day itā€™s another, does that still count as gambling or nah?

2 Likes

About the violence section, Roblox should also ask if blood is toggleable.

5 Likes

Did you ever get an answer to this?

1 Like

No. I ended up erring on the side of ā€œyesā€, that way I would be covered from a safety perspective.

As long as you mark the violence as mild and infrequent (which would be accurate for my experiences), you are still appropriate for all ages.

4 Likes

Okay, thank you for the response!

1 Like

How would you draw a conclusion, between accidental or intentional in this scenario? Players could be at risk of being moderated, even when they forgot, or it was an accident, in some cases. That wouldnā€™t be very good.

3 Likes

This seems like a rather useless update right now. Perhaps if instead Roblox would also give us PEGI 16+, Mature (17+) or/and Restricted (18+).

In my opinion, together with ID verification, developers would be able to create great games on darker themes with fewer limitations. Roblox is extremely (sort of) safe space. We should have an ability to restrict our games to the older ID verified community and allow mild swearing (perhaps disabling chat filter altogether, which is in-fact completely possible right now with just a little bit of knowledge about Robloxā€™s Chat System), potentially offensive topics to create dark atmosphere for psychological horror games or criminal-themed games.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s a photo of what an under age userā€™s parental settings look like. The option was set to 13+ by default.

2 Likes

@LateNightDiner Seems like Iā€™ve found an issue.

I made an account to see what an under age person would see, and after changing my privacy settings the results were as expected, however, I am still prompted with the ability to pay for 13+ paid access games.

Though Deepwoken is 13+, I can still opt to pay for it regardless of my account settings.

This is what I see for non paid games, which is expected behavior.
Noticing now the image says ā€œAll Agesā€, but it earlier said 13+ and I still donā€™t have access. Odd. Nonetheless it still reflects a 13+ only experience.

edit; this has been resolved

4 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s where the PolicyAPI comes in: PolicyService:GetPolicyInfoForPlayerAsync (roblox.com)

1 Like

Any possible clarification on the violence definition? @LateNightDiner

3 Likes

Restricted (18+) seems like something that would probably never get added. Keep in mind, although Roblox is adding ages, it is still against ToS to mimic or display sexual content, as well as drugs. That being said, I donā€™t know really think any game would fall under 18+, although 16+ is a viable option. Not sure about 17+, because so far everything would fall under 16+ or 18+, so it is pointless.

I think that it is likely for a 16+ to be added, but 18+ usually refers to sexual activity and drugs, so I doubt it will ever get added, as I do not think Roblox would ever allow those two things.

If we look at the PEGI classifications, we can see how 18+ would probably not be allowed in Roblox at all.

(Source: ā€œPEGI.ā€ Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 10 Sept. 2022, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEGI.)

• Bad language will almost always be kept to 16+ standards as anything regarding discrimination or sexual activity is against ToS.
  • Discrimination is against ToS, so it would not even be included
  • Drugs are against ToS, therefore would not be included
  • Fear / Horror both fall under 7+ or 12+
  • Gambling is against ToS, therefore it would not even be included
  • Sex(ual content) is against ToS, therefore it would not be included
  • Violence falls both under 16+ and 18+, but considering that this is the only dictator of whether this is a 16+ or 18+ game, it will probably just default to 16+
  • In-Game Purchases are a Roblox thing, therefore we have nothing to touch on here
  • Online is also a Roblox thing, nothing to look at or modify here

That being said, only one of those categories would classify as 18+, but it also classifies as 16+, which means that it would probably be best to default to 16+ instead since there is no other element that dictates that the game is 18+.

Of course, all of this is just an educated guess and my opinion, but I personally do not think Roblox would add 18+, at least any time soon.

4 Likes

Is there a way to get a second opinion on the answers? Iā€™m afraid to fill this out, since I donā€™t know if Doomspire Brickbattleā€™s combat is ā€œfrequent mild violenceā€ or not, and regardless I donā€™t want to suddenly delist my game to its audience.

2 Likes