Experiences using Marketplace Items - Policy update

Is there going to be an incident report for this?

13 Likes

Having a one-week deadline is extremely overkill. I don’t think we will ever do that in our large-scale games. And yet, this policy is restricting our freedom and we really don’t like it. So please reconsider the way you decided

2 Likes

Ok now that I’ve had a moment to digest the cesspit I was unfortunate enough to be greeted by when I opened this tab:

What? Genuinely
 what? I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say we want an explanation - a detailed one - as to how in the fresh hell we are expected to adjust to and then comply with these policy changes without ruining user experience in games by flooding them with a million purchase prompts, or as to how you reasonably expect game devs to switch out entire item pools of Roblox hats or rextextures of them in just one week. A single week.

Who greenlit this? Why was this quite clearly not run by anybody except for the people in the top positions at roblox? You wouldn’t take community feedback anyway but I’m absolutely certain most of your own staff would immediately recognise how much of a god awful idea this is.

This needs a full u-turn or at the very least major clarification ASAP. You’ve done enough over recent years to make life far more tedious for devs than it should be - we’re already dancing around a minefield of vague and usually really unnecessary restrictions and do not need the final nail in the coffin that is this ridiculous update.

8 Likes

this update actually inspires me to learn krita and improve my modelling to make my own assets

6 Likes

I Might move to there too if Roblox continues with those random policy changes and doesn’t even give us a reasonable time to change our games

3 Likes

This is ridiculous. How do you expect us to use AvatarEditorService to comply with this when the ratelimits on the service are 100 requests per second across the entire experience?

2 Likes

Yea, regarding if this also applies to ROBLOX made assets from the marketplace

so all of the games I made from 2015 to the present that use official ROBLOX assets because I didn’t want to use free models, meshes, and textures from other people are going to be taken down because you guys decided to introduce an unwanted and greedy update nobody wanted ever. You didn’t even ask the community for feedback and are just making another terrible change to the platform.

Is this another act of you guys desperately trying to phase out classic-era ROBLOX in favor of the newer “waah wahh metaverse!” stuff you are trying to push upon a community mostly consisting of people who don’t even know what it is?

This is the last straw; I am done trying to develop on this platform, and so are some people on my development team. Congratulations, ROBLOX!

8 Likes

This is worse than the removal of tix.
This is worse than the audio wipe.
A ton of classic games use gears. Small developers count on a lot of these to get themselves going. Without these resources I never would have been able to start developing games.
This change threatens hundreds of hours of work and some games that I’ve poured my heart and soul into just because they include gears, 2d faces, or off sale items. No chance I can fix this in a week. This is cruel and wrong. Revert it and do better.

4 Likes

I use 2D Roblox faces all the time for my custom in-game skin system all the time, because it works out best and now you are gonna be cracking down on that, what is so harmful in me doing that?

2 Likes

yeah i also agree roblox will do a great job at ruining literal hundreds of games :+1:

3 Likes

I am extremely confused by the wording of this policy update. Can you please clarify if this is only pertaining to equippable assets/gears/etc or if this means ANY offsale asset cannot be used in ANY PART of the game? For example if I have a statue of my own Roblox avatar in a game I own, would this no longer be allowed since I have offsale items on my avatar?
Really need clear clarification on how to abide by these terms and quickly, as you’ve only given us a WEEK to comply.

6 Likes

at that point why even stay strapped in to this stupid site that pays you in corporate scrip and takes the majority of the money coming in and out? experience in lua or roblox’s dumb API isn’t helpful for real game dev, might as well start looking into real game dev

2 Likes

Who thought this was a good idea

2 Likes

digging your own grave roblox

2 Likes

tens of thousands of games more like

2 Likes

This is going to ruin a LARGE chunk of games.

Cosmetic Try-on games? Gone.

ROBLOX Gear based fighting games? Gone.

Role-play games with in-game outfit editing? Gone.

Roblox. You’re shooting yourself in the foot again. At this point, you’ve shot yourself in the foot so many times that it’s made a big enough hole for the bullet to pass through and start burrowing into the ground, as it probably already has.

5 Likes

thanks for this
will look into godot as its been looking pretty promising to me tbh

also just in general learning a game engine now considering the shithole roblox is becoming now would be useful

4 Likes

Atleast the removal of Tix or the Audio Update had some, legitimate reasons behind them.
I struggle to find any group that benefits from this update, however. This will hurt everyone, Roblox themselves included.

10 Likes

How ba-a-a-ad can I be?
I’m just doing what comes naturally
How ba-a-a-ad can I be?
I’m just following my destiny
How ba-a-a-ad can I be?
I’m just doing what comes naturally
How ba-a-a-ad can I be?
How bad can I possibly be?

14 Likes

Just putting this out there, anyone is free to use any of my items with or without attribution for any reason. Just don’t claim you made it and we’re good. Feel free to use this post as evidence that you are allowed to use the assets. :slight_smile:

4 Likes