Experiences using Marketplace Items - Policy update

anyone else ready to boycott the crap out of roblox, LIQUIDIZE UR ROBLOX ASSETS ASAP

3 Likes

Please do not make this update. This is horrible!!

3 Likes

How are we gonna know if roblox takes an item off sale? Roblox takes down items all the time, it’s not like anybody get notifications for it??? You can’t expect someone with a huge game with like a huge advanced avatar editor to fix all of this in a week. This is completely outrageous!

1 Like

who’s the idiot who thought this was a good idea? great update improving developer experience :+1:

strict deadline AND we have to force purchase prompts down the throats of players? roblox games are going to become identical to mobile games

disgusting behavior, goodluck to the lucky moderation team that has to enforce this.

7 Likes

Roblox has made a lot of frankly dumb choices over the past several years that have impacted their devs negatively, but I think this update is in the running for the absolute worst. I legitimately cannot imagine how they ever thought this was a good idea.

7 Likes

Roblox staff ARE reading these, then. In that case, KEEP MAKING REPLIES.

6 Likes

Sadly Roblox can make any decision and no matter how dumb it is it will still have players and developers because its easy. You don’t have to pay to host game servers, you don’t have to setup networking, you don’t have to do any of that on Roblox

2 Likes

This is almost unenforceable and will cause hiccups. Marketplace UGC’s are globally available to load in all games since people can wear them. This means that a hacker could very easily add items on the client or even the server to get games taken down. What about zombie games which pull from a users friend list to create ai zombies? What about Roblox’s own character packages? The whole idea of this seems flawed when applied to Roblox’s own created Items. I pray this gets reverted.

4 Likes

what is this, this is a terrible update. Almost every game is going to need to change, id just replace everything with a solid brick

2 Likes

If even Tokaisho doesn’t like this, no one likes thsi.

2 Likes

yeah literally anything that has some sort of meme in it just gets deleted here cause apparently its off topic or something

which if you think about it doesn’t make much sense cause you can use the image in a post as long as you gave like your opinion of the main post here (i think)

2 Likes

Just… why?? Time for the entire developer community to rebel. :skull:

2 Likes

So many questions, where do I start?

• How long do you have to show the “purchase” prompt button?
  • If multiple UGC items are used or equipped at the same time, do I need multiple purchase prompts on-screen? What about games that may have 10+ UGC items being used in once instance?
  • How do we check for items that will constantly go on/off sale?
  • Are users going to be affected/punished if they submit a false DMCA?
  • How will this not cause even MORE incentive for UGC creators to copy other UGC items?
  • Considering this affects most games on Roblox, how was a week the reasonible amount of time decided to give us? (Especially for catalog/avatar games)
  • What about inexperienced/starter developers that want to use a UGC item in their games who might be incapable of knowing how to use API or purchase prompts?
  • How will this affect API rate limits?
  • How fast does a report escalate? For example, will our games be taken down immediately or is there a strike system?
  • Why do we submit an appeal to a report of our agreements with creators AFTER reports are claimed, especially if there are harsh punishments for reports.
  • Does this apply to gear?
  • What about classic games that aren’t updated anymore? Are they just gone?
  • Will these policy changes apply to Roblox-created/owned UGC items?
  • If I understand correctly, even having a simple feature like body swap potion will require me to show a purchase prompt?
  • If I find a free model of the “Ninja Sword Pack” by Roblox, but I use it for an outfit players can wear in-game, do I need to show a purchase prompt? When do I show it? Do I show it for the whole duration that player is wearing the outfit?
  • What is considered a “purchase UI”? What are the paramters/rules around the size of the text, design, etc? Technically, you could make it really small and blend it so its hard to see, but you still “prompt it”.
  • There’s surely millions of free models that use Roblox hats and gear. How will these be dealt with?
  • Why is the responsibility not put on UGC creators to choose which games their items can be in when uploading and editing their items?
  • Do avatar/catalog games have to get EXPLICIT permission/agreements for each UGC item they want to let players try in their games? That would cause them to need thousands of agreements.
  • What constitutes an “agreement” with a UGC Creator? A contract? A document? Their word?

These changes have prompted the community to quickly mass gather and discuss our concern for our jobs, lives, and future. Within an hour, we had over 425 people in a Twitter spaces discussion with top Developers expressing their fear and disappointment of these changes.

Though this marketplace policy change was very rough and unexpected for all of us to hear, I can say that other recent updates have been amazing.

53 Likes

actually the smartest multi-millionaire company out there.

4 Likes

I’m not a financial advisor but you should probably sell any Roblox stocks you own before it plummets.

8 Likes

We’re so sorry that we said Rthro was bad. We’re so sorry. We’re so so so sorry. Can you revert this change? I promise I’ll buy more Robux! I’ll buy the $200 Robux pack 50 times! We’re sooo terribly sorry, haha. Rthro is great! Dynamic Faces are awesome! Roblox is so incredibly innovative. Please don’t go through with this change, haha. Hahaha. My favorite Dynamic Face has got to be Stevie Standard. What about you all, haha? I sure hope since Roblox now knows that we think Rthro is great, and Dynamic heads are great, they won’t force this change upon us! Haha.

/s

13 Likes

Then lets start a Roblox revolution then.

3 Likes

Who’s idea is this? Why did they think it was a good idea? Roblox is slowly ruining their platform.

3 Likes

Talk about millions of players against a little number of careless Roblox Staff…

4 Likes

It’s honestly quite bizarre how updates are supposed to improve something, but Roblox manages to make it worse!

3 Likes