Experiences using Marketplace Items - Policy update

My response to this information:

In all seriousness though. Please reconsider this update and actually listen to community feedback, it’s going to affect so many games and I do not want to have to go through hundreds of NPCs just to replace various accessories.

3 Likes

to be fair i ain’t surprised that Roblox, after saying “hey we improved lol” in rdc decided that was a complete lie.

4 Likes

Avatar is one of the cornerstones of this platform. The ability to express yourself and be anything you want to be is one of the huge draws of participating in the platform’s market & economy. However, with these changes that Roblox is forcing developers to comply with in less than a week (extremely disrespectful to us, we’re busy and have lives outside of work), it will become much harder to do just that. These changes actively harm user self-expression with their avatars.

This is extremely problematic for multiple reasons:

1. Offsale items can, and very much do generate sales for UGC creators longer-term. A large amount of players will spend hours with friends making goofy and cool outfits in experiences such as “catalog avatar creator”. This often leads to them inevitably buying some accessories, so that they can take these outfits into all of the other experiences that they play. Since Roblox is making every item a finite-quantity item in the near future, most catalog items will not be allowed with this policy. This means the natural flow of putting goofy hats on your avatar, possibly even buying some of them, will be permanently interrupted. I own more red swords than I care to count for my dragon avatar, I would not have purchased most of them if these policies were active previously. This also directly contradicts with Roblox’s push for everything to be finite-quantity.

2. Experiences historically have used Roblox-created assets for many things. The linked sword, fusion & speed coils, bacon hair, various packages such as the original “zombie” package, etc. These experiences, which are plentiful, are now all in violation. What about 2D faces? Those are technically all off sale, yet 2D faces are everywhere. Official Roblox plugins such as the “rig creator” generate a rig with a 2D face, which is also available on the catalog. Now an experience is in violation simply for using a rig generated from an official Roblox plugin! How about an experience that swaps player avatars? Or an experience that has a statue of the developer’s avatar? The list here could be pages long.

3. Creators would not be able to sell UGC items in their experiences, forcing the resales of finite-quantity items to be conducted on the website, meaning Roblox takes 70+% of the sale. They would take the 40% affiliate cut, and then their 30% base cut. This is simply backwards, and if Roblox moves forward with this, it would be blatantly money hungry.

“If you have the right to use something, wait until you’re banned to tell us”. This simply doesn’t work. Provide us a proper tool to submit legal agreements / licenses before moving forward with this. The fact that this was even greenlit before tooling was in place blatantly highlights a fundamental breakdown in communications that developers have been begging Roblox to address for over 3 years now.

To conclude

In principle, I agree that experiences would need permission to use a UGC creator’s items as an in-game cosmetic, or a bear hat as a pet, etc. But the execution here is insanely problematic. To summarize the main pain points here:

• Roblox-created items should be allowed to be used like they have been allowed historically
  • Finite-quantity items should be allowed to be shown in-game, with the APIs to prompt sales of them in-game to match
  • A license / legal agreement submission system should be in place for any moderation system is put in place
  • Offsale items should be allowed to be shown, to promote user expression and creativity which helps drive sales
41 Likes

Where we dropping boys?

8 Likes

Terrible terrible update, and giving us a 1 week notice to go on with this change is actually insane.

3 Likes

but in all honesty, i’m going back to steam, my life shall no longer be roblox

2 Likes

Thats pretty fair considering Roblox’s track record of actually responding to their community whenever they make a stupid decision.

1 Like

looks like doors i cant lie

2 Likes

draco being the goat as always

2 Likes

remember when the entire community absolutely berated roblox for continuing to develop rthro when nobody wanted it and they completely ignored it
yeah i have no doubts that they’ll ignore this too

4 Likes

shirts, and pants, and shirts, and pants, and NO UNLICENSED ROBLOX SHIRTS.

2 Likes

Very nice tree, there is nothing wrong with that tree, I love that tree.

2 Likes

i dont care bro im having fun while i can

1 Like

the 40 year olds investing in roblox stock market:

2 Likes

absolutely fire oh my god lmao

1 Like

Your reply is really good Noble_Draconian :wink:

2 Likes

hi outlook how are you friend
friend

2 Likes

At the moment, 38:575 :pray: it works

3 Likes

kweekcwaft said swerar worddww!!! he cannwt do tahwt!!!

5 Likes

The roblox stock is literally dropping faster.
What are you gonna do roblox you gotta think of something LOL

3 Likes