Exploiters crashing my servers, cause unknown

I did a basic google search, and on v3rmillion (the hacking forum for roblox), I found the a script called “The universal server crasher.”

Your game shows up as their “verified tested” games.
Mind trying this out?

while true do                
wait()
while true do            
wait()
for i=1, 100 do
local msg = "/e "..string.rep("do the same with this put whatever you want.   ",301056)
game:GetService("RunService").RenderStepped:Connect(function()
game:GetService("ReplicatedStorage").DefaultChatSystemChatEvents.SayMessageRequest:FireServer(msg,"All")
end)
end

So it seems as if it spams the chat logs. Wouldn’t a player running the script need to be in the server though to do this?

@Krestiin This is already proven to not be the cause and we’ve tested this exact script already. Not to mention all the servers instantaneously crash signifying a bot or distributed attack. We have countermeasures in place in the game which work to prevent this script also.

Well then, HttpService seems to be like the only reasonable culprit. Unless somehow a few teenagers managed to repeatedly infiltrate Roblox’s IP Address & servers because of the fact that they were mad from being banned, there’s probably a vulnerability with your webhook.

Getting a new URL is the best bet and from there just hope nothing else happens, if something does happen even then later down the road, it’s time to contact roblox and make it clear that there is an urgent issue with exploiters having the ability to repeatedly breach and shut down a game.

I doubt it will still happen though, you guys might have accidentally fixed the issue and didn’t notice it.

QUICK EDIT: I’m assuming you aren’t the only person with access to edit this game, since it is owned by a group. Have you had all developers also check their plugins for anything sketch?

2 Likes

Yes both me and the owner SoulJem have had a look at our plugins and didn’t see anything sus, we are the sole developers for the game which rules out any possibility of a rogue developer or human cause.

I’ll for sure take a look at the webhook URL, I appreciate the advice and I’ll keep this thread updated if anything occurs in the future.

Thank you!

2 Likes

This one isn’t the crash issue that I’ve been experiencing because I’ve modified the version of ChatService to use a differently named remoteevent than ‘SayMessageRequest’.

If the crashing result is similar as to the server being unresponsive for up to 5 minutes, that’s the “crash” issue I’m having right now.

I hear a lot of people calling this a crash just because a lot of people are thinking they’re “lagging” a lot and leaves the game regardless of how many times we tell people that it’s just you being frozen, not lagging.

I’ve dumped a few microprofillers, showing a lot of physicsStepped > worldStep being used a lot.

1 Like

This is probably not related, and I didn’t have enough time to read most of the posts here, but I found a person who spammed a long string of code into chat repeatedly in a 2-3 second timespan. It lagged the server a lot for around 10 seconds. This probably isn’t related to what is happening to the games above, but I thought I’d contribute.

The thread posted a bug fixed quite a while ago.

The bug wasn’t fixed after both patches for both RightGrip and Instance.new(“Player”) the crashing persisted after but the person causing the crashes seemed to have gotten bored with the game.

1 Like

The crash occurs though for every server, even private servers or a server that only Radiakk was in, signaling that it is a game-wide issue and they must be exploiting something that every server accesses.

1 Like

The crashes did not occur in private servers, it seemed to be a script auto-joined. What is weird is that even during the instances where EVERY server script was disabled so only the core scripts of ROBLOX was being ran it still crashes nonetheless. I’m guessing that the person causing the crash was trying to hide it as something as a flaw in the game when it’s actually something that could possibly hurt every game.

The crashes happen before PlayerAdded event is fired which is the same type of crashing we were still experiencing AFTER the Instance.new(“Player”) crash and this is still a issue that we aren’t fully aware about.

The crashes happened when Radiakk was in a public server alone and the crashes still persisted immediately after setting the game to public allowing people to join.

3 Likes

Any fix yet? This has been happening to my friend’s game for quite a while. We’re not using any third-party code in the game and we’ve checked our plugins; no luck.

5 Likes

Does this issue seem related to my issue I’ve posted?

The server just goes completely unresponsive, you can stay ingame but everyone is frozen, animations are looping, no one is chatting for upwards of 8 minutes. Till you get a lag spike and everyone starts flying to their current location and chat goes crazy and everything is back to normal…

2 Likes

Hmm… I’ve tried out the code @Etheroit gave me in Roblox Studio and it seems as if the RightWeld clones are not replicated to the server. The code might not be the correct one exploiters use to crash games or it might just not work in the studio, so I’m still unsure if this is fixed.

The RightGrip exploit was already settled long ago. That was the first wave of crashes we received at the time. The cause of the crashing is something else this time.

1 Like

Check every loose end on how they could get access to the server, for example look at all of your remote events and remote functions, and look if there is anything they could fire and abuse to spam lag and crash the servers because it is almost impossible for the hackers to have server sided access unless you give them that ability with remote events.

I’m sure they’re having the same issue as us. This has nothing to do with RemoteEvents or RemoteFunctions as the server is practically lag free. This has to do with how Roblox handles networking between clients and server and there’s an exploit out there that causes the server networking to freeze up for everyone ingame.

If a player was to spam a RemoteEvent, it would show up in logs. I don’t see an single log about it being spammed.
If a player was to find a way to lag a server, it would show up as something on the server microprofiler. Every server microprofiller I’ve grabbed practically shows no issues with the server performance at all.

I’ve even had to show Roblox Staff with wireshark captured RakNet packets and game sessions to show them that the game is running perfectly fine but our game clients simply don’t get an update for an entire 2 minutes from the server.

If anyone here wants to see my post about it that is still open for the past month,
Roblox servers being unresponsive to all clients ingame.

Wasn’t this originally a post regarding a exploit that I think had to do with cloning a player object when the exploiter’s scripts load which will always load faster than ROBLOX scripts. Caused the server to get confused and just up and crashed the server due to the confusion of which the real and fake player was. I think this had to do with the fact a exploiter could run this before a server could pick up the player being added. I’m pretty sure that was the cause here. But it was patched a while back I thought?

1 Like

Yeah, my bad, I’m just getting so exhausted of this issue we’re having.

Our server doesn’t crash, our server doesn’t have any lag in the server microprofiler results about anything at all, and every player in the server is affected by it.

The server simply becomes unresponsive for upwards of 30 seconds to astonishing 5 minutes. 5 minutes of standing and walking around in a game with everyone else frozen, bubble chats not loading, peoples animations looping.

… and that this been an issue for our game for the past few months now.

Not even just me being affected, multiple groups that feature servers holding a maxplayer over 150 since it’s intended for everyone to be in one server.

Try using StreamingEnabled if you haven’t already. See if anything changes in the responses you get.

2 Likes