Explorer icons turn fully white when selected

Reproduction Steps

1. Open Roblox Studio and open any file or a new Baseplate file.
2. Select any item through the Explorer widget/window.

Expected Behavior

When selecting an object in the Explorer widget/window I only expect the selected row to turn blue, such as in the image below.
studio_normal

Actual Behavior

The current broken behavior also turns the icon to the left fully white. See the image below.

studio_broken

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Display
Impact: Low
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-11-17 00:11:00 (+01:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-11-17 00:11:00 (+01:00)

17 Likes

I started experiencing the same issue around 1:00 AM EST today.

3 Likes

This seems to be in production, as I have betas disabled and am also getting this issue.

2 Likes

I am also experiencing this issue, even after I tried swapping the icons to some custom ones instead.

2 Likes

This doesn’t seem like a bug at all, it looks kind of cool? But I guess it would be useful to have a setting to turn this feature off, as you seem not to like it. With the old icons it looks bad, though.

8 Likes

This appears to be an intentional change by Roblox; The only way to disable it is to set an FFlag to false, according to this post:

Like many things, Roblox should just add this as an option in Studio Settings; I don’t see the point of potentially forcing this on all developers in the future instead of giving them a choice.

3 Likes

If roblox added a setting to toggle something off that only a few people in the community didn’t like, there would be about 50 more settings, and a lot more conditions to check in code. Why would roblox go through the effort to do that? They already did enough by making an update for us.

I don’t suppose you know of any modern way to disable it other than the
FFlagStudioDrawIconsOnTopOfSelection = false
which doesn’t seem to work anymore.
Having my eyes burn whenever I select anything despite supposedly being in “dark” mode very negatively affects me. Would it hurt them so much to keep at least the fast flag operational?

This selection icon highlight change is the single worst, easiest to fix preference-based grievance I’ve had with any update to studio in the last 13 years.

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket in our internal database.

3 Likes

Hi, current behavior is is works ask expected. Note the original screen shot was of an older icon, current effect does not leave the entire mask of the icon white.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.