Explorer Info [v1.2.0] - Lightweight Should-Be Native Studio Features

Explorer Info

Quick Install

About:

Explorer Info is a light weight plugin designed to add small features that I personally feel like should be default in Studio.

Features:

As of v1.0.0, there are only 3 features. The first is a simple selection counter, second is a written path to a selected instance (including smart pathing), and finally camera coordinates. There’s also plenty of settings to modify everything.

Now in v1.1.0, ReSelect and GuiSelect have been added.

With v1.2.0, MultiScale and the Class Counter have been added.

Selection Counter

Path

Pathing uses smart pathing by default:

But it can be disabled, which will result in this:

Clicking the path was meant to copy to your clipboard, but I realized all too late that that’s currently not possible. In the meantime, clicking the path will print it out in the output for you to copy. Holding the modifier key (default: LeftControl) while clicking will use WaitForChild for the pathing. Here’s an example of both (using smart pathing):

Paths also account for quotes to some extent. Counters parts using ", ', and `:

(If all quote types are there, that will likely cause issues.)

Camera Coordinates

image image

Not much to say about this one. Camera coordinates are displayed at the top right corner by default. It automatically offsets in test mode to not be covered up. Holding the modifier key (default: LeftControl) will allow you to copy precise coordinates, where as clicking normally will give you rounded coordinates.

ReSelect

ReSelect is a small addition that fixes an issue I’ve had with Roblox’s Select tool being unselected when selecting certain types of instances within the Explorer. With this fix, Roblox’s Select tool will always be reselected when it should be.

(I haven’t had any issues myself, but please let me know if this interferes with any other plugins that you may be using.)

GuiSelect

GuiSelect adds the ability to select ScreenGui elements (inside of StarterGui) on your screen by holding down the “GuiSelectionKey” (default is Z) and clicking on a UI element.

MultiScale

MultiScale adds the ability to scale multiple parts at the same time without scaling them as though they were a scaled model. Hold the “MultiScaleKey” (default is X) and MultiScale mode will be enabled.

(This feature is intended to be used by multiple parts rather than just a single one.)

Example:

Class Counter

Mousing over the Selection Counter will show an ordered list of all the different classes that you have selected. This is the only time it will appear.

Here’s an example:

Settings:

Settings can be accessed: game.CoreGui.PluginSettings.ExplorerInfo
(I may eventually create a nicer settings menu, but this is it for now.)

CoreGui Tutorial

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Settings Details

AutoScaled | Alternate scaling method, FontSize is preferred.

CameraPositionCorner | Corner to position the CameraPosition widget.

CornerOffset | Offset from the edge for all corners.

Font | Font for all widget text.

FontSize | Text size for all widget text.

GuiSelectionKey | Hotkey to enable Gui Selection Mode.
(Case doesn’t matter and you can use part of a key name, such as just “Control”.)

GuiSelectionTestMode | Enables Gui Selection Mode in Test Mode.

ModifierKey | Sets the modifier key for click actions on interactable widgets.

MultiScaleKey | Hotkey to enable MultiScale Mode while Scale is selected.

PathCorner | Corner to position the Path widget.

ReSelect | Enables the automatic re-selection of the Select tool.

ResetDefaults | Enabling this will reset all attributes back to the default settings. Clears saved settings.

SelectedCorner | Corner to position the Selected counter widget.

ShowCameraPosition | Toggles CameraPosition widget. Only updates while enabled.

ShowPath | Toggles Path widget.

ShowSelectionCount | Toggles Selection counter widget.

SmartPathing | Toggles smart pathing. See “Path” section above for more info.

TextColor | Sets the text color (TextColor3).

TextOutlineColor | Sets the text outline color (TextStrokeColor3).

TextOutlineTransparency | Sets the TextStrokeTransparency.

TextTransparency | Sets the TextTransparency.

TopOffsetDuringTest | Offset for top corner widgets during test mode.

If you want to change the font size without manually going to the settings config, just run this line of code in your console (same for all attributes, of course):

game:GetService('CoreGui').PluginSettings.ExplorerInfo:SetAttribute('FontSize',24)

Note:

Please let me know if there are any bugs. While I think I’ve worked out most of them, I’m sure I’ve probably missed others as well.

I also edited things to not require any permissions. Aside from moving things around, I also had to use a custom encode module for saving the attributes without using HttpService. You can find that module here (not mine).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :+1:

Install

Other Resources:

14 Likes

This is pretty cool, definitely going to use this.

4 Likes

Thank you. Let me know if you find any bugs, or perhaps any smaller features that might fit this plugin. :+1:

Also just updated to patch pathing to instances with names without spaces that would disrupt direct pathing, such as punctuation symbols or starting with a number.

3 Likes

v1.1.0 Release

New with [v1.1.0]:

• “ReSelect” added
  • “GuiSelect” added (Currently doesn’t work with Buttons) (Hotfixed)
  • Fixed non-default settings not updating correctly on load

Read the original post for more info.

Please let me know if there are any compatibility issues regarding “ReSelect” with other plugins, or if you have any feature suggestions.

1 Like

You can already see how many instances have been selected.

1 Like

Where can you see that? If such a feature exists, it doesn’t appear to be obvious.

I see it now at the top of properties, but I still much prefer having it more visible.

v1.1.1 Patch

New with [v1.1.1]:

• Fixed ReSelect conflicting with click detection for the path and camera coordinates viewer
    (This was a temporary fix, but I may redo ReSelect if it conflicts with other plugins.)

Please let me know if there are any compatibility issues regarding “ReSelect” with other plugins, or if you have any feature suggestions.

1 Like

Doesnt this already exist via the properties panel?

Yes, but it wasn’t very visible. (I somehow had no idea of its existence for the 13 years I’ve been on Roblox.)
I personally prefer it above the path as shown in the screenshot, but its location can be modified.

it is nice having it on the screen for those who have them in the same spot, but for those who have 1 on either side seems redundant, perhaps more in depth counts? if you have multiple selected from different classes perhaps on hover shows the exact on each class, idk

I’ve noticed that this plugin has been causing other plugins to fail and parenting to fail. Can you fix this?

Which plugins is this affecting and what specific actions of those plugins aren’t working correctly?

It’s not just plugins, it’s also Roblox. I can’t even parent items in the properties menu.

I’ll look into this and see what the issue is. One of the new additions is “ReSelect”, which basically reselects Roblox’s “Select” tool when no other tool is selected and when no instances are selected in the explorer.

In the meantime, you can disable ReSelect while allowing the other features to run by using this command:

game:GetService('CoreGui').PluginSettings.ExplorerInfo:SetAttribute('ReSelect',false)

I’ve pushed an update that requires there to be no instances selected in order to automatically select the Select tool. Changing a parent via the properties window works now.

Are there any other plugin or Studio conflicts that you have with ReSelect enabled?

Here’s a command to re-enable ReSelect:

game:GetService('CoreGui').PluginSettings.ExplorerInfo:SetAttribute('ReSelect',true)

Alright, That fixed it. Thanks!

1 Like

Would there be a way to fix the scaling tool? Currently when trying to scale multiple parts at a time they both scale outwards instead of the intended direction, and it’s honestly extremely annoying… I have to use F3X to accomplish what I want (it’s the only reason I use F3X now, apart from easy coloring). Attached a video of the behavior i’m talking about.

1 Like

It would be possible. I assume you’d want it to work with the existing scale tool? I think I could have it replace the scale method with a custom one while holding down a particular key. I’ll just have to look into how those draggable handle things work in Studio.

1 Like

This would be amazing, I wouldn’t have to whip out F3X every time I want to scale multiple parts at a time, which happens incredibly often unfortunately, i don’t understand why roblox haven’t done this already, pretty sure people have been asking about it for a long time.

I’ll look into this and message or ping you when it’s done, but I can’t promise when I’ll be able to get to it.