Export to OBJ partially fails for MeshPart and UnionOperation

This is a very strange bug, very dodgy.

When exporting certain Unions or MeshParts, the objects that get exported are always a bit dodgy. Here’s an example.

The original object in-game:

The exported object in blender:

There’s not much more to this. It’s very inconsistent.

FOLLOWUP: It seems I have to select each part type separately, and this is by ClassName, not the root type. I had to individually select my Parts, export, individually select my UnionOperations and export, and individually select my MeshParts and export.

Are you exporting a model or is that original object just one piece? Sometimes I’ve noticed it only partially exports what’s in a model, but I can usually get it to work after trying it 2-3 times. Has been going on as long as I can remember, and I’m not sure why that is.

If you’re exporting a model, usually I fix it by opening the model in explorer and then selecting everything inside with shift+click, then export since it seems with the model function it doesn’t always grab the other BaseParts. It’s not a 100% fix, but it does work more often than not.

I’ll have a look.

Selecting only BasePart was able to resolve this issue. Thanks. Ideally Roblox can resolve this soon.

EDIT: It’s not exporting my MeshParts now, for some reason. I’ll followup soon with details on how to get all of this working so I can get a proper repro in.

FOLLOWUP: It seems I have to select each part type separately, and this is by ClassName, not the root type. I had to individually select my Parts, export, individually select my UnionOperations and export, and individually select my MeshParts and export.

Glad you found out what was going on. I’ll remember that next time, if it isn’t fixed by then, as this is quite annoying. I always thought it was just a problem with model’s not selecting all the pieces within it, especially a model within a model. Perhaps you could test that out as well?

This is still an issue.
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/exporting-objs-from-studio/215563