Expressive Console Window has terrible performance

Enable beta feature: Expressive Output Window

Output 1 print statement per frame, watch your computer burn…

Put this into a local script:

game:GetService(“RunService”).Heartbeat:Connect(function(Step)

print(“Step”,Step)

end)

Frame time should be 16ms, with this new console its 60ms…

Thanks,
Widgeon

FrameDrop.rbxl (17.8 KB)

40 Likes

Can confirm, was about to submit a post similar to this but found this one.

My microprofiler after simply printing “Hello world” in a while loop:

This doesn’t occur when turning off the expressive output console.

8 Likes

Can confirm, getting the same problems in my game. I have a test round that prints the number of seconds remaning until the round ends.
E.g.

local TimeRemaining = 300
while TimeRemaining > 0 do
    print(TimeRemaining)
    TimeRemaining = TimeRemaining - 1
    wait(1)
end

With the detailed map and everything else going on in my game (various game systems running, physics computations, etc), my framerate drops to 0 for a split second every time something is logged to the console. Interestingly enough, nothing shows up in the microprofiler - the entirety of studio as a whole lags :

It also doesn’t seem like the console has any limit to its buffer size, so as time goes on it eats more memory until it is cleared. Being able to set a buffer limit would be nice.

I do not have this issue with the regular non-beta console.

5 Likes

I’m also getting the same issue. My game uses a custom debris module, when cleaning parts up I have it print for every part it cleans(still debugging it). Before it was negligible at worst, but now it actually takes up considerable performance to do any sort of step debugging.

Performance is immediately restored once the console is switched back to normal, so it’s not anything I added.

3 Likes

Can confirm - RenderStepped gets really laggy when running in the new output. Fixed as soon as I reverted back to the old one

14 Likes

The new oupput is taking like 10 seconds to print every element in a linear table…

There are only about 30 things in the table

2 Likes

Thought it was just my game too, my games FPS tanked way more than usual with it on.

2 Likes

I can attest to the fact that the Expressive Console has performance issues, as well. This has forced me to turn it off, as it would basically destroy performance and render testing impossible.

3 Likes

Hello everyone! We’re aware of the performance issues with the new Expressive Output Window. We’re investigating several ways of addressing these performance issues, and this feature will remain in beta until the performance improves. I recommend turning off this beta feature if it’s disrupting your workflow.

13 Likes

These issue should be resolved with today’s Studio release. Details here: [Beta Feature] Expressive Output Window Improvements

2 Likes

This does not appear to have been fixed when in studio Play Test for both server and local scripts:

game:GetService("RunService").Heartbeat:Connect(function()
	print("Test print")
end)

1 Like

Can confirm that this is still a problem.

Specs if it helps:

Device name DESKTOP-OJ6MVFU
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i3-9100 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)
Device ID C540CE2A-E4AC-4F71-B418-2E0A99CC3ADF
Product ID 00331-10000-00001-AA549
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
1 Like

It’s been months, and no word on this? Crazy.

5 Likes

Has anyone ever brought up this issue to the devs? This has been an issue since the new console went live (like two years ago if i recall correctly?). While this might not affect high end computers that badly, old PCs have a non negligible performance loss seemingly because of stacked statements/repeatedly printed large tables. Please address this someone?

2 Likes

Yup, it’s still an issue lol.

The FPS drops increasingly worse the more output messages appear. (for me, at least.)

1 Like

I am not sure if this is the case for others, but I find I only experience performance issues when repeatedly printing the same message such that it gets stacked. Any other form of rapid printing seems to perform fine for me.

2 Likes

Hello, sorry for the late response! We are investigating the root cause of the issue and we’ll come back to you all when we’ll have updates. Thank you all for the patience and sorry again!

5 Likes

If you prefer performance over the ability to expand/collapse duplicate lines and look through expandable tables, I would also recommend turning on Log Mode by opening the menu in the upper-right corner of the Output Window and checking the “Log Mode” checkbox.
Log Mode will make the Output window act identically to the pre-Expressive Output Window, where you cannot expand tables or duplicate messages, but performance is increased as a result of this.

6 Likes

i circumvent the issue by opening the Watches and Output windows only when i need them, and keeping them as floats, not docked