Extending NoCollisionConstraint to Work on Models

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to apply NoCollisionConstraint on Models. The NoCollisionConstraint is an instance used to prevent collisions between two specific parts. It allows us to create and share Models with customized collision filtering. However, it only works on BaseParts, which limits its functionality when dealing with complex Models.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would significantly improve my development experience. Extending the NoCollisionConstraint to work on Models would allow for more efficient and flexible collision management in complex environments. It would reduce the need to individually manage collisions for each BasePart within a Model, saving time and making the development process smoother.

Currently, if we want to prevent collisions between different parts of a Model, we have to apply NoCollisionConstraint to each pair of BaseParts individually. This can be time-consuming and inefficient, especially for Models with a large number of parts. By allowing NoCollisionConstraint to work on Models, we could manage collisions at a higher level of abstraction, making it easier to control how different Models interact with each other in the game world.

In conclusion, extending the functionality of NoCollisionConstraint to Models would provide a more efficient way to manage collisions in Roblox games. It would streamline the development process and provide more flexibility in controlling the interactions between different Models. I believe this feature would be beneficial to many Roblox developers and I hope it will be considered for implementation.

17 Likes

I would love this. I’ve been having to add NoCollisionConstraints to all parts of a model.

5 Likes

Agreed, this should exist. Registering collision groups in runtime performs badly and it’s less than ideal to loop through an array of parts to create a ton of NoCollisionConstraints.

For example, a grenade thrown from the camera origin needs to avoid colliding with the character throwing it, but should still hit the rest of the environment and other characters.