Extremely Blocky Terrain Heightmap Fix

Here, you can play with the heightmap if you’d like

The image quality might be reduced

How are you having it determine the material it generates ?

Maybe improving the range could make it less blocky. Could you try adjusting the brightness and contrast so that the brightest pixel is 255 and the darkest is 0?

Do you know how to do that in GIMP or what ap are you using to do the range setting?

I just have it generate snow. Don’t necessarily think that the material is the issue.

“Range” is just the vague term I’m using to describe the brightest and darkest pixels that the image has. I used Paint.Net but I assume most image programs have something. Adjusting brightness curves would be ideal, but you could play around with it easily by sliding contrast and brightness around.

I don’t think range is the issue either. It’s changed regardless by the size for the heightmap generation. I would be very happy if it weren’t so blocky but still had the same height range for it

Sad. I haven’t used the importer myself. It sounds like it could benefit from some post-processing features to apply smoothness.

1 Like

maybe if you have to use that image as the height map, you run it though some GIMP filters to clean it up… I am messing with it now…in studio to see what it does first… or search for HD 4k maps from NASA…

ummm, what X Y Z are you using on this height map and what is an X Y Z of a jacked up places??

@Ande1steve5 Try changing it to a PNG. Ive just done that and it’s come out a little bit less blocky.

If there is still a problem, then your issue is that you are importing too large of a terrain into too small of a heightmap. It’s not looking healthy at 12kx12k so if it doesn’t work, you might wish to reconsider your design.

what X Y Z did you use on it? for your generate of it and me typing more

X: 12000
Y: 1900
Z: 12000
Its not the most healthy looking map if you look around. It looks like there might have been an issue in exportation.

ok, I will try that… just for the heck of it… but I think we have thrown out a few good ideas… also I was wonder if you generate it twice, same thing, but on the second generation, slightly , ever so slightly change the Y up for the position, like by 1 or 3 or something…

1 Like

It would double the lag if you tried that

why? would it not just be filling in holes ? and or putting in new terrain, that would overriding the existing one?

No it would overlap on the previous terrain

1 Like

I have found myself a pretty good alternative to heightmap generation. I am currently using the MeshVox plugin, and it is 100 times better in generating than roblox’s heightmap system.

I converted the gaea exports into an obj file and un-subdivided it in blender. I re-exported it into this plugin that creates this terrain like a 3D printer, even saving me so much time for generation, terrain optimization, and such.

3 Likes

Thanks for the shoutout! I’m glad people are making cool stuff with it

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.