F for Realistic Flashlight

I have recently been developing a horror game and would like everything to look somewhat realistic. I have been working on a “F” for Flashlight feature, but I can’t seem to figure out how to make it look realistic.

Right now, I just create a new spotlight inside the character’s head when they press the “F” key, but it looks like this:

Do you guys think this looks good, or should I change it? In hallways it will illuminate the floor and walls, but I sort of want it to look like a beam of light.

I linked a post that might guide you as to what I am trying to accomplish here: Light projection for flashlights

Is there a way to make it so that whenever I press F, it will make a realistic beam as shown in that post? Keep in mind that I don’t want the Flashlight to be a tool, I just want it to be a more realistic shape than my photo shows.

Thank you to anyone who helps!

Is your Technology in Lighting set to Future?

Also I would Recommend Checking if the players already have a flashlight in the their head. If so just Enable true or false.

Thank you for your reply,

I had initially set the lighting to future, but I changed the place that the game was in and forgot to change it again. I will look into this.

After changing the lighting, it makes things look better, but the flashlight isn’t in the shape that I want it to be. As you can see in hallways like the one shown above, it doesn’t light the area up that well, and I was looking for a way to make the flashlight a circle-like beam.

Are you using a Spotlight? If so then try changing the range and Angle.

local Player = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local Character = Player.Character or Player.CharacterAdded:Wait()

local UserInputService = game:GetService("UserInputService")
local Enabled = false
local Light

UserInputService.InputBegan:Connect(function(input)
	if input.KeyCode == Enum.KeyCode.F then
		if not Enabled then
			Enabled = true
			Light = Instance.new("SpotLight", Character.Head)
			Light.Brightness = 4
			Light.Range = 16
		else
			Light:Destroy()
			Enabled = false
		end
	end
end)

This is my script, but no matter how I modify the spotlight, it won’t make a circular beam like this one

the-last-light

Is there a different method I could make a realistic beam sort of look?

Have you thought about F to equip tool? I understand what you are wanting to do but the rings seem to be done by shadows in the tool, and I’m not sure how a beam coming from the players head would look. Sorry but that’s all I can think of as of right now. If I can think of something else I’ll let you know. :+1:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help, I will look into that. Let me know though if you can think of anything else.

I found a way to use F to clone an item from replicated storage and put it into a player, and that turned out very well. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.