Face-Tracking Should Overwrite Face Animations for Dynamic Heads Instead of Layering on Top

Currently, the way face-tracking works with dynamic heads is weird and can result in even more uncanny visuals than it should. For me, the face animation layers on top of face-tracking instead of just overwriting it makes it look more creepy.

I personally think that dynamic heads should disable animations to the face in favour of what is being tracked on the face. I think this would make face-tracking look a lot better and feel even more natural and less uncanny. This would result in a better visual experience.

Let’s use Stevie Standard as an example since it’s as basic as can be. It would lose its smile animation in favour of using your face-tracking when enabled. If you do not have face-tracking enabled; it should immediately go back to the smile the face has since no face is being tracked.

Current Behaviour

See how my character is always smiling? This looks very weird with face-tracking since the animation and my tracked face are colliding with eachother to make an uncanny result. (I tried my hardest to make my character stop smiling)

Prefered Behaviour

My character properly does smile only when I am smiling using my camera. This has a better-desired result since it makes it look less uncanny.

Do dynamic heads look weirder with animations layered on top of face-tracking than without?
  • Yes, it looks weirder.
  • No, it doesn’t look weirder.
  • No, it looks just as weird either way.

0 voters

7 Likes

Not to say I disagree, but your point may come across more strongly with images/gifs/videos of what specifically comes to mind with the current system. Without any visuals, people/Roblox may be envisioning something different from what you mean.

5 Likes

I currently do not have a camera, so I will have to look into how I can properly make this work. Thanks for the suggestion!

Update: I used my phone to capture my face to properly be able to show what I preferred the system to work as.

2 Likes