Facial Expression & Dynamic Heads: Something that could be great, but just isn't

As everyone probably knows now, Roblox has created a new set of “Dynamic Heads” which when paired with facial tracking has granted the ability to make dynamic facial movements in line with speech made out of a microphone. Whilst the Avatar system in Roblox needs a serious overhaul, the implementation of the new feature to your Roblox avatar is quite simple to achieve and free for players.

What is most disappointing however is they have went to the effort of creating this advanced system, only for it to be destitute in regards to functionality and features when tested by Developers.

So what is the solution?
Add two new simple toggleable items for games which shouldn’t be hard for Engineers to implement:

1. Disable / Enable head rotation tracking - this should be a studio feature and a in game feature. This is because for some people, like myself the positioning of my camera is not great and I don’t like how Roblox makes my character look left and right. An expression only mode would allow us to capture the very best feature of the system without it ruining the overall dynamic of the game. Disabling of head tracking would also mean more non-static movement for player character’s heads which is ideal for realism games.
  2. Implementation of a animation only version of the Dynamic Heads which doesn’t have the facial tracking OR the head rotation. This would be taking an already great feature of the new head system and instead allowing us to express an emotion on a button click (or for us professional scripters, when different actions occur). I just think that having to have the camera on is a real bummer for this feature.

These two features alone, in my eyes, could be the next step in making the animated heads a staple within the platform as it would allow for higher levels of functionality without the implementation of features which in my opinion ruin the feel of a majority of games.

This would also provide the ability to increase inclusivity for the user base, you would no longer be required to have a camera for the game - you would instead feel more equal with your peers as everyone would be able to have an array of selectable emotions. In regards to potential sales ideas, the company could also make a profit through the selling of emotion kits using these new faces.

12 Likes