Falloff property for light

I would like to make a light that is very bright in the center and then somewhat linearly would darken as the distance increases.

Currently it looks like the lights are constant intensity and have an abrupt falloff zone at the edge.

Also Id like to point out that spotlights dont work very well because if you use one in a flashlight and walk to a wall, the wall wont light up.
That seems to be because the spotlights maximum intensity isnt at the spotlight position but somewhere way in front of it. So walking away from the wall actually increases the brightness (wot). Please make the maximum intensity for spotlights be where its positioned.

7 Likes

Totally agree, the lights need more flexibility.

3 Likes

Turn the brightness down to something really low. It only does the sudden fall off thing if you set the lightobject’s Brightness property to something high.

3 Likes

Yes totally agree with your second point.

Making a working flashlight with spotlights just doesn’t currently work

2 Likes

I support this infinitely. Currently roblox’s lighting isn’t flexible for detailed maps. It works for only medium sized settings. It stops rendering at large distances, and goes through walls at close distances. FIX YOUR LIGHTING ROBLOX.

3 Likes

The lighting is fine. You do realize that it works fast even on the worst possible graphics hardware. The way the lighting is implemented (voxel grid) puts certain fundamental limitations. For instance, in order to get those high-frequency details (google for “Nyquist sampling theorem”), the light grid resolution will have to go up, taking way too much memory.

2 Likes

I really appreciate you posting on the Feature Request Forum, Max. Not many employees do.

However, Max, you just made a contradiction there. IIRC, ROBLOX wanted to have games that could compete with real games – there was a big thing a while back about a ROBLOX place getting more plays than some professional games. If you’re saying that lighting is “good enough” because it’s fast, and only clips through walls, you might want to read over your employee handbook again.

1 Like

He literally just told you that there’s an issue with memory usage in the current solution. If you have any brighter ideas then go ahead and tell everyone, otherwise it’s absurd to suggest that they aren’t already working on memory optimizations to improve the fidelity of the current lighting.

I’d also like to see your supposed copy of his employee handbook :uhhh:

1 Like

“The lighting is fine.”

This is what I was going off of. Just because it works “good enough” doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be improved. Based on his post, it seemed like ROBLOX had given up completely on improving lighting.

“I’d also like to see your supposed copy of his employee handbook :uhhh:”
Just going off of what other employees have posted on the blog :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sorry, pal. Those “Real Games” ™ have “Real Hardware Requirements” ™, not some 15 years old crap that we have support for in Roblox. The current lighting solution is perfect because it works everywhere, including iPad2.

2 Likes

I understand that there are fundamental limitations and the current implementation is good because it works well on many different forms of hardware, but can we ever see lighting improvements in the future? Maybe optimizations later on that may open possibilities for better lighting?

It would be nice to know that the dev team is still at least keeping lighting possibilities in mind rather than just dropping lighting as it is and never touching it again.

1 Like

We always do.

1 Like

I would like a falloff property for lights especially because we have future is bright phase 3 now.

Would be so nice to not have lights be unnaturally bright at a distance and too dark up close.

This is a necro bump i am aware i just want to see falloff property for lights now with FIB3 adding much more realistic local lights.

Roblox staff nine years ago were so different…

Anyways, like backup said, with FiB being a thing for the past few years now, and now that hardware isn’t too bad, lights really ought to have a falloff property by now.

1 Like

yea, no engine would impose such heavy restrictions.
also checkout the feature request with light range limit if you’d like to, some staff did say they want to implement that, but now there is nothing about it

1 Like