Feedback on game: Hacker Tycoon Plus

I have been working on a game (with another developer) called Hacker Tycoon Plus. It’s a sandbox tycoon style game where you build your Hacking HQ. The goal of the game is to be the richest hacker in the game though there is no official end. I need some feedback on the game.

Current features:

• Placement and saving system,
  • Tutorial,
  • Currency system (you can place down workers to make Cash for you),
  • Monthly payment system (every 5 minutes you have to pay your workers),
  • Level system.

Those are the main things included in the game so far (any feedback is useful). Tell me what you do and don’t like about the game in general. Anyway, here it is:

i… don’t know how to feel about this.

Your game is closer to create your own business as a legal entrepreneur,
There is a major issue in the whole directive design about this game, which leads to a very poor gameplay (if the goal was to simulate hackers activity)

This is a regular placement tycoon, where you have to hire idle NPCs, place them, get a upgrade, and optionally put walls around the place to feels like a actual office. nothing unusual, and this is also a problem,

When you hear about “hackers”, you normally directly leads to think contents such as “illegal”, gouvernment, wanted, secret stuff, hidden, spy, a bit of dark side & the goal of profiting out of innocent people, Honestly, this game feels absolutely none of what i’ve mentionned, at all.

The whole map is bright, a rather dynamic ambiance, fun music, the setup is literally near the road, and the sense of danger “as a hacker” is inexistant.

You might be against my point, like there isn’t much feature to make a “scary themed tycoon”, There are several things you can add that would make the Gameplay much much more interesting.

First of all, how can you apply dark theme in a Tycoon ? the logic question that will make everything works is here, scary isn’t forcely visual, what could potentially lead to that is “Loss”, as a Hacker, being caught by the cops and losing workers/cash due to your misdeed and mistakes in hiding your suspicious activities make a big hit on the player, and that would be a major reason as of why the player would try harder in gathering informations & focus on objectives to progress, because there is no difficulty in the current state of your game, none, it’s all about waiting.

i’m not asking some very advanced mechanics here, but considering the work you’ve done, a alternaltive to the feature mentionned is definitively possibly, you can create these actions as “events” in the game, for example, Quests :

• Hack the NASA before [deadline]
    what to do : just make your workers focus on NASA. COM to receive data from them

• Someone is trying to infiltrate your base ! (could be a NPC or a Player)
    what to do : Change the PC’s Targeted’s Password (it’s just string change lol)

• The FBI is watching !
    what to do : Stop your bad activities for awhile or Change VPN (high level item)

Those just seems missions, but if there is eventually a pack of them, that would be entertaining in alot of ways because you fight for your goals, and really feels like solid progress when you get the hands of it, which will leads to a great extended lifespan overall.

2 Likes

Finally! Some constructive criticism! I might shut the game down and redesign some of the map, and add some of the ideas you mentioned. I never really thought about these things! Thank you!

(Also, this game was built because of a game where you build a business. It got taken down and I thought I should make it again but slightly different. It must have become too close)

2 Likes

Glad you took everything just fine,

as a additional note, if you ever still lacks ideas, you just have to think briefly what a actual hacker “globally” do, because a regular player will join your place with little vague expectations,

such as “servers, cracking, download, stealing, internet, code”,
which seems like nothing, but if you ever make contents which, for example, SERVER has a actual purpose in your game…

then alot of people will find it “realistic”, and therefore have a high-positivity over the game, simple but never-seen visuals are the absolute best to impress any users.

1 Like