Feedback on my jungle tree?

Spent a few hours making this and need some suggestions.

Tree skeleton without leaves:

c5 c7

With leaves (complete)

d8

20 Likes

This is really good man great work you have done, in my opinion you can add some more leaves to just to get that jungle tree style. Plus you can add some vines that hang from the tree branches going to the ground. Maybe add some animals in the trees!

Nice job so far hope to see more work from you, hope this helped.

6 Likes

Oh ya, I forgot to add vines, Thx. Will post with vines tomorrow.

3 Likes

With all those branches, wouldn’t hurt to add a birds nest.

2 Likes

good idea. I have done that now. It id in the post below.

1 Like

This is the updated version.

8 Likes

Hello! I was just wondering, how far into the ground is this tree going to be? If the roots are going to be covered by the ground then there is really no reason for them to be there - it will more likely just slow down the game if there are enough of them. Otherwise it looks great, really detailed… Keep it up!

2 Likes

Firstly, THANK YOU for providing so many pictures. Not enough people do that.

Second, this is a really good effort. The art of Roblox trees has diminished as more games have shifted to low poly. Not that there’s anything wrong that, but the trees take less effort.

With that being said, this is a killer tree. My only suggestion would be to add a few more smaller offshoots from the trunk to fill it out with more leaves.

2 Likes

Since the roots are kind of curved down like a dome, I was thing of putting them kind of on a dome shaped mound of terrain. I am currently on mobile rn but I will send screen shots of it (Australian accent) " In it’s natural 'abitat"

This looks like a pretty cool tree, but how many parts does this thing use?
I’m asking this question purely just for optimisation reasons if you plan on having this within a large game.

1 Like

If it were to stay without the leaves it would look good in a horror game (In my opinion) to be honest. Other then that you did a GREAT job!

Out of Curiosity is it a mesh?
Or a union?

I am not good with those. All parts.

1 Like

It is 607 parts in it… Pretty sure thats a lot…

Just highlight the whole tree and the properties window (assuming the parts are not within separate models) at the top says how many parts. Honestly this looks like more parts than that to me, unless you are using solid modeling to minimize parts.

Definitely important to be careful with part count, unless this is going to be in a small lobby or something where there isn’t a large map or too many other high part models nearby.

OMG!!! I was WAY off. It is 607!

The vines are a great addition and I really hope you use more, especially between multiple trees.

If it is meant to be a showcase with a blocky style, it looks great! If it is going to be used in a full game, you may need to consider bringing it into a modeling program (like Blender) and reducing the triangle count for performance.

Depending on the circumstances, you may want to consider fibrous roots (particles, not parts). This does depend on the type of tree you are trying to convey and the soil conditions. Roots that have been uncovered for a longer amount of time will have less fibers.

I have a bird nest that has 157 parts. Should I take that out?

Not necessarily. If used sparingly it is fine. If you want to use it more frequently (or if it is used in an infinite terrain generator), you should consider reducing the part count.
Using textures is a great way to reduce part count since you can use color to portray depth.

Again it depends on what else you plan to put in this map, how big it is, etc. Regardless, I would suggest using solid modeling to reduce the part count where possible, and then you can take that step further and convert that into a mesh so that the unions don’t have to be recreated every game session.

This is the link to the game that I have SO FAR: Tell me if you think lag will be a problem… btw to move it c then x