Feedback on my portfolio

Hiya, I am @lonely1and1afraid and I recently made a portfolio on the forum here: Lonely1and1afraid's development portfolio

I would love to hear feedback of everyone on how I could improve this and have higher chances of getting commissions. I would also like to know on how I can get commissions because I have been trying on discord and it doesn’t seem to be quite efficient.

1 Like

Although I have not created a Roblox-specific portfolio before, I’ll try to offer some insight that’ll hopefully be useful :grin:

Portfolio Feedback

About Me section

You mentioned that you’ve worked with both small and large developers alike; this statement could be made more appealing if you added an extra detail of:

• “How many place visits you have contributed to.” (out of the games that you have completed commissions for, how many visits have those games accumulated).

As an example, one of the most popular portfolios on the Developer Forum is that of CrazedBrick1, and here’s the third sentence of their portfolio:

And even if those types of statistics are things that you don’t end up highlighting in your portfolio quite yet, it’s something to consider for the future, as that would help establish your credibility and further highlight your level of experience which could improve a prospective employer’s first impression.

You could also consider:

• Referencing the games themselves that you’ve contributed to (so that players could see your contributions directly in the game or even just assess the status of the game / group you contributed to).

• Tagging the developers who you have worked with. Upon completing a commission, you could even ask them to post a reply to your portfolio as a “review”. That way, when other people read through your portfolio in the future, they’ll see the creations you’re showcasing in addition to the reviews you’ve received from the people you’ve worked with.

Showcase section

• The YouTube video links within the “Scripting” sub-section aren’t showing a title / thumbnail preview, which hinders the viewing experience. Some users may glance through portfolios, which means that they might not take the time to click through each of the links to see what each video is showcasing without already having an idea of what each video is about beforehand.

• I don’t know for sure why it’s not showing the preview, but you could try adding an extra newline between the links in case that resolves it. If you’re manually using markdown with the brackets [] and parentheses () for those links, then I’d recommend just pasting the YouTube link directly (without using brackets or parentheses), as that’ll allow it to display the title / thumbnail preview. Alternatively, you could try to attach the YouTube video to the post to see if that works.

• (If it was an intentional decision to hide the title / thumbnail preview to avoid cluttering the page, I’d recommend reconsidering that for sections like the “Scripting” showcase given that that section only has video links. For the other sections where a YouTube video is referenced, you could keep that as is, if you’d like. Although I’d also recommend including a brief text description alongside the link so that it provides extra clarity about what to expect from each of the videos since the preview won’t be visible).

General feedback

• Consider adding extra spacing and / or distinct dividers between each new section to improve readability. In particular, between the various showcase menus (GUI Design, Scripting, etc.) so that it’s clearer when you have reached the end of that menu.

For a ton of useful and also fun info about the different things you can create with the formatting stuff that’s supported on the Developer Forum (including ones specifically for decoration) here’s a really awesome, comprehensive thread:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/developer-forum-formatting-guide/456083

(Even if you already knew a bunch of the stuff mentioned there, hopefully there’s at least 1 thing that’s new that could help out at a future point in time. I read through that thread just now and actually just learned how to write those cool, formatted keyboard shortcuts; I hadn’t known how to do that for the entire time I’ve used this forum but I always wanted to know how!!)

Suggestions

Here are the primary options I know of:

Roblox Talent Hub

Pros

• Built-in to the Roblox website
  • Doubles as a place to host / reference your portfolio and find job opportunities
  • Relatively easy to create a new job listing / apply for an existing one

Cons

• Many developers have expressed their dissatisfaction with the quality of the Roblox Talent Hub, citing issues that range from a lack of transparency with terms to deceptive and completely unfair practices from some job listings. I would highly recommend reading through that thread before trying out the Roblox Talent Hub.

Discord

(You mentioned that you’ve been trying to get new commissions via Discord, but since I don’t know in what way / which servers you’ve joined, here are some servers that you might not have heard of yet; and note, I won’t be including any direct links to the servers themselves since I don’t think that’s allowed in public categories, if I remember correctly).

• The Hidden Developers Roblox group has a server which has been praised as being a good place to network and find opportunities for commissions. I’ve only used the server for its Announcements channel, so I cannot confirm whether or not it’s actually an effective place for landing new commissions.

• A YouTuber known as TheDevKing created a discord server several years ago (which was named “RoDevs”) that has around 50k+ members, based on the last time I checked. I have not been in that server for several years, so I don’t know what the experience is like there now, but I’d imagine that there are still dedicated channels there for commissions.

• There are plenty of other servers that pertain to Roblox Game Development which are likely to have a “for-hire” channel or something similar for commissions, although I don’t know of that many. The ones that I do know of include the following:

• YouTuber DeHapy has a “hiring-devs” text channel
    • YouTuber GnomeCode has a “devs-for-hire” discussion board forum channel

Twitter

The #RobloxDev hashtag on Twitter is very likely the most popular hashtag for posts that relate to Roblox Game Development in any capacity. Although I don’t use Twitter that often, I’ve been introduced to and have become familiar with countless skilled developers after seeing tweets that showcase fun and interesting creations.

Twitter could be a place for you to get in contact with other developers while also sharing some of the work that you’ve made. You could pin a tweet on your profile that links back to your portfolio here on the Roblox Developer Forum or Roblox Talent Hub, while also letting people know that you’re open to being hired so that anyone who discovers you via Twitter could refer to your portfolio and then contact you.

Other

Overall, awesome work with your portfolio! You are setting yourself up well for more job opportunities by having a good variety of things that you could be commissioned for. I wish my skills were spread out as effectively across a variety of competencies like you showcased, but I’m basically only decent at scripting, haha.

Best of luck!

2 Likes

That’s a good idea but most of the games I worked on were usually just one-time commissions so I really don’t know what happened to those games now, consider it as small developers. For larger developers I have a game and I will paste it in their, thanks!

It’s not intentional and I am not putting it as a markdown, it seems that DevForum does not embed Youtube links in drop down menus which is quite annoying.

Talent Hub

I really don’t like it, people there pay barely anything and it’s usually percentages and it’s really hard to get a response from there. (I mean it’s hard from discord as well but you get the point)

Discord

I am in HiddenDevs and RoDevs but even from there after applying to 20 people I get 1 commission. It seems that people usually just don’t care to open discord? Or am I doing something wrong? Should I get more skill? Should I add mroe to portfolio??? I’ll test out the other servers you mentioned as well.

Twitter

Funny thing, twitter is banned in my country so I really can’t access it without a VPN. I also really don’t know how tto gain popularity there because I don’t use it at all.

[quote=“StrongBigeMan9, post:2, topic:2945428, username:StrongBigeMan9”]

This looks promising… I’ll test that out if I could, I doubt I would get a good job? Maybe it’s because my portfolio is empty and doesn’t have any real impressive stuff? Or is that just me?

Thank you! You’ll get good at other stuff as well. Everyone does but I don’t know why I still like to discourage my work mostly.

Thanks, you too in whatever you are doing! Have a good day.

2 Likes