Feedback on my "realistic" car suspension

I personally like to script my own chassis systems, but I’ve never actually finished one with a full engine/transmission simulation with two-way coupling. I’ll get there one day, lol…

(Not sure if A-chassis has that, but it should, right?)

1 Like

A-Chassis has that, but it’s pretty hard to configure if you’re new to tuning…

I believe simulating vehicles with just vector forces and bodymovers give more control over the car due to friction not being a problem and the car never really collides with the ground.

Never have I ever seen someone make realistic car physics out of vector forces and bodymovers. They work like the free model jeep or jailbreak’s cars, which lack body roll and diving. They do have a suspension, but it just feels unnatural imo.

I believe that worrying about friction should be a thing because it gives the car some character in some way… Just imagine a 70s American car being able to corner, or be able to do the moose test successfully, wouldn’t that feel wrong?

These days, “scripted” cars and hovercrafts are better done by using ApplyImpulse on every frame. The downside is that this requires network ownership for whatever is simulating the suspension, but that should be a given anyway (why would you simulate something owned by someone else?).

When done correctly, ApplyImpulse on every frame is indistinguishable from a constant force calculation, and it can be more powerful (as in flexibility, not actual force) than spamming body movers. With that said, it’s not quite as good as constraints, which are calculated all at once by the physics engine and guaranteed to provide Pretty Accurate physics.

With hovercrafts and ApplyImpulse you have to be extra careful to apply both equal and opposite forces. Hovercraft will generally push down on whatever they’re hovering over. This gets complicated with network ownership. Good solutions are hard to come by because they’re complex.

2 Likes

Nice work, but the suspension looks strange with the way your wheels ‘bend’ on your straight axles, like it’s a combination of straight axle and A-arm type wheel movement.
And to @bitsNbytez and qChronos suspension games have been around for 10 years. Takeovertom was making suspension vehicles and tanks in 2010/2011.
Constraints are easy to use once you get familiar with how the Properties are set up.
@qChronos Chronos, you can make your own physics car using this tutorial:

Just a sample of what I’ve been up to (if you click over the gearshift on some of the vehicles the gearshift moves and your vehicle moves faster and the steering moves less for better control.

I’m still working on how to not make the wheels bend despite having a straight axle, thanks for pointing it out tho because I know that dependent suspension doesn’t really work that way.

1 Like

I’ve added a 1 ton pickup to my suspension test place but the details aren’t finished.
It has straight axles and fake leaf springs. I hinge the axle assemblies to roll left and right connected to another hinge at the end of the driveshaft at the transmission that allows it to tilt up and down. 2 SpringConstraints are on each axle, but they are transparent.

1 Like

You could actually make leaf springs out of springconstraints using the model of the 2nd panel.

Looks amazing, I wonder how you made it this clean tho

1 Like

There’s actually a tutorial about raycast suspensions on youtube. It basically looks like this.

A-chassis use spring constraints, and I haven’t seen a single raycast suspension that works “realistically” as mine.

Yeah I don’t see that much tutorials on YouTube most of them outdated

There was one recent tutorial about raycasting suspension on roblox, but it felt really stiff imo.

Most of the tutorials seem to be going everywhere except the point of the video

It still looks great, plus with the new technology we have there may be a way to make this suspension system better

1 Like

I don’t think a sedan would have suspension THAT open.

it has solid axles at the back in real life based on images i found. It’s a pretty old car back when american cars handled like trucks.

The issue with that type of leaf spring system is that for realism (for the way I did it) you’d need to use mesh deformation system to create the visual effect of the springs bending.
Also the 3 springs wouldn’t hold the axle in place without it moving fore and aft as well as side to side. I lock the axle to 2 hinge constraints (1 for tilting the axle assembly at the front end of the driveshaft and the other for allowing the axle to tilt side to side) so it doesn’t move except in the up/down axis.

1 Like

Well they can if you tune the rigidity and stiffness correctly into the equation for raycast suspensions that is.