'Find All / Replace All' Often Freezes Studio Indefinitely

(STILL OCCURING AS OF JANUARY 2024)

Reproduction Steps
This first occurred roughly at the start of February. It has never happened to me before, including at the same games that it currently happens at.

Reproduction:
It happens at any of my games with several tens of thousands of lines of code. It might also happen at other games.
This occurs on my laptop and my desktop at multiple different games. Reinstalling Roblox Studio and graphics drivers has not solved it.

System Information:
Desktop:
Windows 10 64-bit, Intel i7 7700K CPU @ 4.5GHz, 32 GB, NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti
Laptop:
Windows 10 64-bit, Intel i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 16 GB, NVIDIA GeForce 1650 Ti

Beta Features:
CSG Version 3
Intuitive debugger
Save rig with animation
Selection and Navigation Improvements in Explorer

Expected Behavior
If working correctly, the ā€˜Find All / Replace Allā€™ feature would find all references to the written text, if any exist, in all scripts and modules in the game.

Actual Behavior
About 1 in 4 times, Roblox Studio will freeze indefinitely searching with the ā€˜Find All/Replace Allā€™ feature.
The search results are not shown.
If not manually or automatically saved, development work is lost.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Freezing
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Often

Screenshot Example:

17 Likes

We are still working on finding a place to reproduce this locally. If anyone has places they would like to share where they have run into this issue, please PM me.

4 Likes

Hi @BRIANO10 alternatively can you describe the following:

• Approximately how many scripts are in your game?
  • How many of those are longer than 10000 lines?
  • How many are module scripts / local scripts / server scripts?

Thank you!

1 Like

I am also experiencing this. It appears to only happen if you have studio open for a while.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Select some text.
  2. Press the Find All / Replace All bind (Ctrl + Shift + F).
  3. Observe the crash.

Again, it appears to only happen if you keep studio open for a while, but Iā€™m not sure how long. My best guess is around an hour or more.

@IcyTides @idevride

2 Likes

@sozzly, thanks for the info! Weā€™re still trying to put a finger on this and see if there are any special circumstances to repro this. Does this happen for you even for Baseplate?

1 Like

I do not experience this issue with the Baseplate place.

I am unsure if any recent Roblox studio updates have attempted to fix this. I am guessing they have because the freezing happens less on my laptop. It has not happened on my desktop recently, but I have not used it as much.

1 Like
  1. About 12 scripts
  2. None are longer than 10,000 lines. 2 have about 8,000, and 2 have about 4,000. This includes comments and spaces.
  3. About 120 are module scripts (most of which are just arrays for weapon stats, etc.), 3 are local scripts, and 9 are server scripts
1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s the same issue, but an identical bug will happen if there are too many results. This is easily reproducable in the ā€œMove it simulatorā€ template. Search for some common letter, like ā€œsā€, unfold some scripts and Studio will leak tremendous amounts of memory trying to load every match.

1 Like

@BRIANO10 and @UnpalatabIe ā€“ Thank you for your responses, I added these to our internal ticket and weā€™re continuing our investigation as well.

To your point, weā€™re definitely trying to address these issues and hopefully the difference is going to be noticeable in a few weeks.

3 Likes

This issue is still happening. I appreciate the investigations so far, and I hope that a solution can be found soon.

Note: Before the game completely froze, I saved the file. The file didnā€™t actually save. I knew that the file as about to freeze because no results were given in the ā€˜Find All / Replace Allā€™ window.

1 Like

This has started happening a lot more for me recently. I feel like every time I try use Find All there is a 50/50 chance studio will crash.

It seems to happen only when I have some text already selected then press ctrl shift F, or when the find all window opens and the search bar is already filled from a previous search

1 Like

I am experiencing the same problem. It happens about 50% of the times.
What precisely happens is that the ā€œFind allā€ shows nothing, then if I click on anything in Studio, it freezes the window indefinitely.

1 Like

Weā€™re continuing to look at this with little luck reproducing in-house. We have some theories (based on our crash logs) on how this is happening and will try to address those.

Weā€™ll keep you posted.

3 Likes

Can confirm this issue still exists. So far it seems to be completely random, but recently it has happened a lot more. Before it would be after a couple uses of the find all feature it would freeze and crash studio. But just now it crashed studio on the first time Iā€™ve used it, 3 times in a row.

1 Like

I have a decent PC. This crash whenever you try to replace all on a big scales. 100+ scripts. However, the process is incredibly quick when you download the place, and do it offline. Also, after the crash, I cannot edit that experience as it would load up all those scripts and freeze the studio. Even when I reverted the version to before the edit, those script would still appear causing freezing. Left my PC overnight hoping it would load, but it still froze.

1 Like

We have an issue queued up for this quarter for something similar, when replacing something in many scripts in TeamCreate, Studio can freeze or crash.

When you say ā€œofflineā€ I assume you mean local file as opposed to TeamCreate, right?

1 Like

Yeah. Do it on a local file finish the process in less than a second.

1 Like

This freeze went away for maybe a month. It seems to be back now. Its so frustrating, I have to avoid using ā€œfind allā€ for fear of having to force restart studio. Maybe the latest update broke it again? Or else Iā€™ve just been lucky for the past few weeks till now.

And I use it a lot(when it works). So now I guess Iā€™m back to not using it for a while.

@idevride

1 Like

I only experience this issue when trying to replace a large amount of scripts with a lot of lines.

The most irritating thing is, when it white screens, it never comes back, forcing you to close studio- when you reload studio sometimes it messes up half of the scripts, deleting some code or adding parts of what youā€™re replacing onto them.

Example:
Replace ā€œHello!ā€ with ā€œHello Thereā€
It would then output: ā€œHel,ā€ into the script after you reload after the crash which causes errors.

1 Like

It has also returned for me.
@idevride

1 Like