Fire ProximityPrompt based on the distance between the player and the FACES, not object center

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to have a correct interaction between the player and a rectangular object, using ProximityPrompt.
It works well for square objects as it measures the distance from the center of the object:

But it doesn’t work well for irregular objects like a rectangle:

Here it will work:

Here it will not:

I think ProximityPrompt should be activated by the distance with the FACES of the object, not the center.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because ProximityPrompt will have a correct interaction between the player and a rectangular object.

6 Likes

I think it might be useful to have a dropdown that allows switching between inner and outer radius, that might effectively resolve this. It’s not just a problem for rectangular objects but for larger objects as well, you need to significantly increase the activation range.

I can see cases where I’d be content with just a simple inner radius check or if it would be more useful to detect my distance from the prompt according to the outside perimeter of an object without having to mass increase activation range (e.g. just 4 range with an outer radius = activation is valid all around a large 8x8x8 cube up to 4 studs out).

Just for the sake of options. There are probably cases where it’s not appropriate or preferred to work according to the outside edges so having support for both would be awesome.

7 Likes