Flag assemblies to run at high frequency with adaptive physics stepping

As a Roblox developer, it is currently completely impossible to use the new adaptive physics stepping option in my game because of a few assemblies that are improperly run at a lower step frequency and thus jitter unreasonably. I also have characters in my game that have unusual physics constraint tails attached to the rootpart that appear to run at 60hz sometimes.

Because of this, I am unable to take advantage of this feature in my game and thus have to budget for physics props more aggressively than I otherwise could have.

I should be able to flag these special assemblies so they always run at specific frequencies (i.e. highest) so this does not happen.

Otherwise, the system that detects complex assemblies is not smart enough, and chains of constraints should flag assemblies as sufficiently complex to warrant higher stepping frequencies.

7 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, sorry for the frustration caused by this! Agree that the system that determines the timestep should be polished more for these type of situations. We will keep you posted.

5 Likes

You can reproduce the instability on a baseplate using this model with Adaptive enabled. This model usually has a script inside of it so it acts alive, but that has been removed here. It is a chain of ballsocket constraints with align orientation between each segment to keep them all aligned. This is a common pattern I use in my game for “snakes”.

Noodle.rbxm (13,6 KB)

2 Likes