Float BlurEffect.Distance

As a ROBLOX developer, it is currently impossible to make things blur at a distance.

What I propose as an addition to BlurEffect is “float Distance”. The Distance property would begin taking effect after the specified distance has been reached. Think of it like this if my wording is unclear: you’re a person who’s nearsighted and you don’t have your glasses on.

I believe this would also be helpful for various other usage cases. Right now, if I want to “blur things from a distance”, I either put a neon brick that puts itself a certain distance away every time the camera updates, or I don’t do it at all and scrap my ideas entirely. I dislike using the neon method because

• If you look down at a certain angle, you can see the brick phase through the ground
  • It affects pro-client items like guns and you end up hitting the brick if it isn’t made properly
  • It looks pretty awful, environment and gameplay wise

Post-processing effects should get as much, if not just a little less, attention as dynamic lighting does. Post-processing effects have the capability to enhance maps and games if used reasonably and correctly, but to me they don’t feel fully complete (that is to be saved for another post, should I make it).

26 Likes

So basically how you can adjust the fog settings, but instead of the fog, it’d be blur?

That’s a very interesting idea, and I could find some use of this myself as well. Although one thing that bites me is that players who use graphics 1 do not see the blur at all.

I’d like to support this.

EDIT: I wasn’t aware of the blur update where all the graphics level see the blur, and just tested it out. Thanks for this update ROBLOX!

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure they changed BlurEffect so it works on those with lower graphics as well now, but not sure how accurate that information is.

EDIT: Rendering Updates - July 2017
& BlurEffect works on Studio now.

3 Likes

They are still working hard on the post effects. There was a poll not very long ago on what they should focus on next: http://devforum.roblox.com/t/post-processing-roadmap-poll/40569

Also, I believe the effect you are looking for (blur at a specific distance) is depth of field. This is currently the most requested post-processing effect judging by the results of the polls in the link above, so I can say with some degree of certainty that they are working on it. If not, they are most definitely aware of us developers wanting it, as well as more effects. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I like the idea of Roblox creating some more post-processing effects like depth of field, but I also worry that a lot of people won’t understand how to use these resource demanding effects responsibly. I only want to see more of these effects in Roblox if their engineers are able to optimize them enough so that they can run on a wide range of computers and devices.

1 Like

I think I would find a use for something like this. Nice idea. So if you could blur things in the distance, couldn’t you also blur things close up? For instance in a gun scope, blur anything close to the scope and only focus on parts a certain distance away?

I think it would be pretty cool to have a way to make the FOV lower on parts of the screen and higher on others. Also the same for blur effect. Here’s an example:

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/fpstps/imgs/f/e/fe903800.jpg

See how the screen is blurry in some spots but not in the subject? Also, the FOV on the surrounding areas is normal, while the FOV in the middle is low. This would be pretty cool to implement if you ask me.

4 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking of. I’d love to see this in roblox shooters.

2 Likes

Its called dual render. Not sure how resource intensive it would be.

2 Likes

I think it’s not really ROBLOX’s job to make sure our game performs well, that’s up to the developer. If the dev thinks their game can handle it, he should be able to use it.

Edit: It’s great that roblox does keep this in mind, but ultimately it’s up to the developer.

1 Like

I was about to suggest something similar to this!

A great usage of this would be a shop with 3d items, where you want to blur out items in the background but not the items in the shop.

1 Like

@colbert2677 it just took me few mins to fully understand the suggestion ^^ …since i tought you meant something which was already suggested often even before post processing shipped .

Its called depth of field ; what it does is it offers a dynamic screen blur effect which only blurs objects based on a dynamic distance and which often only shows objects really sharp if your camera is looking at them / focused on them .

I actually dont know why Roblox still didnt gave us a depth of field blur system ; as far as i know it isnt very hardware demanding at all .

It could only take a while for roblox to fully implement it and it may be a bit tricky to tweak it in order to make it look reliable pleasing.