Foliage Terrain Material

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to create good-looking dense foliage. Most people use plain mesh parts / unions to achieve basic foliage, some experienced showcase building devs use textured meshes to design more realistic trees. I believe that a foliage terrain material, essentially a bunch of leaves, would be very handy for a range of developers.

Furthermore, I would also really hope for it to have animation properties similar to that of water so that it could appear to be moving with the breeze.

25 Likes

There was a hack week project on this.

14 Likes

I think it would be better to have the foliage be an instance, similar to beams and trails - instead of a terrain material. If anything, certain materials should have foliage spawn automatically, alongside customization of said foliage, such as texture, life time, rate, density, etc.

6 Likes

Definitely needed!

3 Likes

Support! Sorry for the bump but have to as foliage is something many developers need and asked for roughly 2 ~ 3 years already and still no update for it as there was a hack week video that amazed a lot of people, but no demand any more.

Anywho, having foliage for terrain and possibly parts if it is possible would be something cool and fun to use inside studio and live on games is something I would personally enjoy and call “amazing”. Foliage on tress or onto certain materials that can move around with wind or objects is truly amazing to add onto the Roblox engine.

Agree, making it an instance would be something I would like to see very similar to beams and trails as making them separately would be kind of weird in my opinion. Since the new Grass decoration that they added to studio for a year already, maybe foliage would be something looking into since more terrain options are coming in a year or two.

+1! :cool:

3 Likes

As a more complicated alternative, you could try doing this using the upcoming skinned mesh feature.

5 Likes