Font-faces for GUI Elements

I think that it would be wonderful if we had the ability to define custom fonts for GUI elements. Users would have the ability to upload TTF/OTF files to the website, and define the custom font for the GUI element by linking to the asset ID of the uploaded font.

Not sure how difficult this would be, but I think that it would be awesome for game developers who are trying to tie in a specific theme to their games.

Until then, you can always create an image that contains a grid of all of the font’s letters, and a table if their positions and size.

It’s certainly a lot harder than the OP, but it can get the job done for now.

Problem is it’s easier to draw images than text…

that is, if you don’t use https://code.google.com/p/freetype-gl/ :slight_smile:

It’s BSD 3-Clause licensed so you have almost unlimited freedom with it.

[quote] Until then, you can always create an image that contains a grid of all of the font’s letters, and a table if their positions and size.

It’s certainly a lot harder than the OP, but it can get the job done for now. [/quote]

After a 12-pack of Mountain Dew and a bag of M&M’s, yeah.

Edit: I didn’t make the font script, but I did create the font sprite-sheet, and I had to modify the script a bit to meet my needs.
Script: http://www.roblox.com/Modified-Custom-Font-Service-item?id=184618886

I like the fact that you tried, but that font is pixel wise really low quality :frowning:

The font itself isn’t really well done, but it’s the exact chalkboard style font that I was looking for.

This is what it looks like in Photoshop

That’d be cool. Might run into some licensing issues though. Fonts are weird like that.

Licensing issues are certainly an issue. That being said, I bought a license for the font that I’m using right now, so I’m allowed to use it in my games.

Licensing issues are certainly an issue. That being said, I bought a license for the font that I’m using right now, so I’m allowed to use it in my games.[/quote]

You sure its not just a personal license? :stuck_out_tongue:

Licensing issues are certainly an issue. That being said, I bought a license for the font that I’m using right now, so I’m allowed to use it in my games.[/quote]

You sure its not just a personal license? :P[/quote]

I contacted the creator and got a commercial license

There is a lot of free-to-use fonts anyway (including commercial ones)
[size=1]inb4 people care about copyrighted fonts but not the half of the catalogue with copyrighted audio idk[/size]