Full Release of PathfindingModifiers

Hello AI developers,

We are happy to announce PathfindingModifiers is now out of beta!

What are PathfindingModifiers?

PathfindingModifiers are instances used to annotate/modify parts or meshparts. Their purpose is to let game creators customize the cost of traversing the volume their parent defines. To do so, CreatePath() now also includes a parameter Costs to map PathfindingModifier.Label to cost multipliers. For instance, a cost value of 100.0 makes the parent Part 100.0 times harder to traverse. Conversely, a cost value of 0.5 makes the volume twice as likely to be included in the final path.

DeathBrick Small

You can read more about Pathfinding and Modifiers on the DevHub and in the original post:

305 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

This new update is amazing! I was able to test this while it was in beta, and it made pathfinding so much easier. This will be amazing for things like pets, and NPCs that in the past have had weird pathfinding… traversing through water etc. Thank you to the Roblox staff!

27 Likes

Might be good to know that the pathfinding article is outdated:

ModifierId does not exist anymore:

And it also leads to a 404

29 Likes

I was certain PathwayModifier instances already existed after reading the article on Pathfinding!
Good change, might want to update the documentation though.
https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/articles/Pathfinding

8 Likes

Astounding! Amazing! I absolutely love this, now my non-heat-resistant NPCs can walk around the ground-level pit of fire (that’s a hypothetical scenario). And they can see openable doors now too.

Let’s hope we see more innovations like this.

7 Likes

The first idea I could think of is having NPC citizens that obey traffic laws (i.e. don’t wander into the streets, only cross at designated intersections.) Conversely, it could be used to keep self-driving cars in the right lanes.

11 Likes

in the words of @Ndawqz LETS GOOOOOOOOO! I have been waiting for this to be fully released to start making a pathfinding system! This is some pog stuff right here.

5 Likes

Time to get my NPCs to obey crosswalk signs, maybe with dynamic PathfindingModifier.Label changes?

If you’re going to make self-driving cars, I’d recommend a nodemap-based implementation. I’d like to see where you get with pathfinding though!

Hope not, I’m already pathetic at outrunning the pig bot…

In 2 pictures:

Needs some work, but it’s better than hacky workarounds I once used.

CanCollide bricks with a script that adds NoCollisionConstraints for every other BasePart in workspace now and in the future, have fun trying to beat me in terms of inefficiency

7 Likes

i wont be using this, but i can tell that other developers would absolutely love this

5 Likes

Been hoping for some changes or enhancements on Roblox’s pathfinding service. This will definitely allow for more fine-tuned npc traversing.

4 Likes

Might want to update the documentation :wink:

Anyway, it’s pretty cool that they’re fully released now. But, I have to ask, are PathfindingLinks coming in a separate update? I thought they were going to be included in the full release of this one, as they only appeared with the addition of the Modifiers beta feature.

8 Likes

I’ve been expecting for any updates or improvements to Roblox’s pathfinding service. This will undoubtedly allow for more precise npc traversal.

1 Like

We are ecstatic within Roblox for infusing in useful features including pathfinding. Out of ordinary innovations, this is precisely practical for good miscellaneous like NPCs. Therefore it’s kind of more incredible than anything else, thanks Roblox!

2 Likes

I honestly dont know how to thank you guys for all of the stuff you give us, this is truly amazing, my respect for all the dev team always working on these awesome new updates

1 Like

This feature is indeed really good though when is it going to be possible to add an ignore list at the time of computing a path? Currently if you make a path starting from your animal’s position, pathfinding will think the animal itself is an obstacle… Anyways, thanks for the current feature!

3 Likes

Why the modifier Label isnt just a part property and then manage the costs and PassThrough using just scripts like PhysicsService why collision groups ?

1 Like

Oops, sorry about that - ModifierId is now called Label. We are reviewing the documentation. Thank you for pointing out to this.

2 Likes

Totally. Thanks for the heads-up!

2 Likes

Pathfinding Modifiers were designed with the idea in mind that most of the world has default navigation cost, whereas some parts of the world may need their traversal cost tweaked. Thus, not every Part needs to be tagged for navigation purposes, and we can save some memory by only tagging Pathfinding Modifiers instead.

That said, if you need to tag many Parts differently, that would be valuable food for thought for us, so don’t hesitate to share such a situation with us.

2 Likes