Further Changes to Playing Ability of Experimental Mode Games

I never said it was simple, nor did I say to steal assets. Fact is the games are outdated and don’t matter as much as getting rid of experimental mode does.

If you miss the game for the gameplay, then the concept can be remade. That was my point.

This is the most well constructed response to this issue, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, thank you.

5 Likes

Doomspire Brick Battle is 10 years old and is extremely fun. Glad someone remade it or else that would have disappeared too. It’s fortunate the original creator uncopylocked the game, it won’t be the same for other games.

4 Likes

Edgy start with that reply but alright, lmao. So in other words, you bonded with people and have connections to these places because of good memories. How exactly is this different from nostalgia?

You don’t play those games, and I can guarantee that most people don’t revisit these places until people mention it or something like this happens. Sure it sucks, this could probably have been done better but even then, if it means that the company and the platform will move forward then I couldn’t care less if old games can’t be played. We’re working forwards, not backwards.

Give it a few weeks and no one will be complaining anymore. That’s how it always is. And I will once again say “there’s not really any excuse for games today to not already be filtering enabled.”

Player safety is a first, Roblox don’t need more drama news articles that leech off Roblox’s success like parasites. Because that does in the end hurt us as developers too. So yeah… That’s my two cents on all of this. But sure, do protest for having access to places that hardly anyone but yourself will access which if viewed from a broader angle doesn’t make much sense.

7 Likes

I’ll address your reply by paragraph.

1. Wasn’t trying to be edgy at all. I was simply stating that I was 100% certain that someone would have this sort of reply. Bonding with people and making friendships =/= nostalgia.

2. I do play these games. I play Studville often, for inspiration and to walk around and take in the architecture.

A quick twitter search shows I’m not the only one that does this.

Sure, this game will probably be fixed in the future, but who knows. The game I linked is an example, others relate to other games differently. We’re moving forwards, yes, but we could be moving quicker by providing alternative methods. (If I may redirect you to JadeFlames’ post: Further Changes to Playing Ability of Experimental Mode Games)

1. This is not the case. People still complain about tickets being removed. People still complain about gifts being removed. People will still complain about this for many years to come.

People complained about Discord, and it’s being supported again soon. It just goes to show what we as a community can do, Roblox do listen.

1. Player safety is a first always, and I agree with you on that. But, reiterating on the 2nd paragraph, there are a multitude of different ways they could have done to combat this issue in a better way.

Roblox removed server lists because of security issues, but after backlash, they revised this and opened them back up again. Once again, there are different ways to combatting this issue. Server List Update

Yes, I will still protest this issue, as will over 400 people on Twitter. https://twitter.com/robloxdevrel/status/1020415138208329729?s=19 I normally agree with any changes Roblox propose and deliver, but I don’t with this.

See also: Further Changes to Playing Ability of Experimental Mode Games

13 Likes

Having the mindset of “people will stop complaining soon enough” is not a good mindset to have. This isn’t an issue that will just pass over because it’s not some trivial little update such as changing the logo or redesigning a web page, this is a change that destroys quite a bit of Roblox history. Sure I might not play games made before 2015 all too often, but I’d still like the ability to be able to and I’m sure there are some older games that people still play daily and now can’t. A good example would be some of StickMasterLuke’s older games and SFOTH. Sure I didn’t personally play those games much if at all, but there were still hundreds of people that would play those games often if not daily. Taking away the ability to play these games isn’t helping anything. FE shouldn’t be an option to begin with: if it breaks these games, so what? At least I’d be able to visit them and see what was once a great game. And who knows how many games are now closed even if they would still work with FE enabled and just didn’t turn it on before.

17 Likes

Can’t we just re-enable 13+ users to visit experimental games as normal, but add a big warning about experimental games and the possible dangers it can bring? This is shown when the player attempts to enter any game that is experimental, either through the site or through the teleportation service.

That way:

• The responsibilities of Roblox and the developers regarding player safety with experimental games are ‘shoved’ to the player due the warning given. If anything bad happened to a player, too bad because you’ve been warned.
  • Classic games aren’t unplayable anymore and remains open to 13+ users.This also doesn’t require any modification on the game such as 1 player servers, or forced FE, allowing games to operate the way they are and always have been.
  • While not being an ideal situation for developers, it does allow classic games to remain open, which seems to be a hot topic regarding this change. As normal, <13 users are denied access while 13+ users receive a warning regarding the dangers of experimental games. Nowadays devs are highly advised to work with FE due the limitations and warnings in access non-FE games bring.

In my opinion, the history of Roblox should not be destroyed merely because an exploiter managed to stir up a a PR crisis.

15 Likes

You realize it’s children being protected, right? Children don’t and can’t make these types of decisions.

1 Like

They might not matter to you but they do to thousands of the rest of us. And the decision is not to either choose classic games or choose improved security, because we have already offered better courses of action that would improve both.

5 Likes

I’m confident a 13 year old (minimum age here) is well capable to understand a warning, especially in the format that says “We suggest to avoid playing this game.”

It’s like a “Don’t walk on the grass” sign.

12 Likes

The point is most children lie that they are 13+

(Also, it doesn’t matter if 13 year olds understand it, it’s what they claim happened to their parents)

Lies bring cries.

EDIT:
I would be pretty pissed when my kid comes claiming he saw sex on a Roblox game.

Not pissed at Roblox.
Pissed at my 12 year old kid lying on the internet and breaking rules due that.

17 Likes

It’s the responsibility of the users to put in their accurate age. That’s their fault if they lie about it, and neither Roblox or the developers should be held responsible for someone else’s lies.

12 Likes

I wish I could do more to support what you said than just liking it, well said.

7 Likes

I never stated whether or not they matter to me personally. The whole point is that personal feelings aside, this decision makes sense, and would make more sense by actually removing experimental mode.

This decision wasn’t made to help developers, it was to protect children. The behavior of experimental mode should have never existed in the first place, and it sucks that a lot of games are gone by doing away with it, but that’s where we are right now. Past mistakes shouldn’t hold back the future, and neither should nostalgia.

I have a lot of games I miss, but the fact is that this decision is an important one. To the majority of users, the games they care about are the front page games, hence why they are on the front page.

Children make bad choices. It isn’t up to kid to make the right decision, and you can’t really expect a parent to sit by their kid for an hour watching them play Roblox. The best solution is for Roblox to offer a safe environment, and they should.

1 Like

You’re just repeating the original point of the change, which tons of us already made counter points to and suggested better alternatives. I think the majority of us (I don’t know why not) want to have better security in our games, but it doesn’t have to come at the cost it has. There are options to keep these games open and improve security at the same time, like forcing all games to be FE for example. One of the biggest reasons people are mad about this is that improved security doesn’t have to come at the cost of so many games, but Roblox is choosing to take that action despite there being a clear and obvious way to preserve both.

9 Likes

I’m repeating the same points towards people who aren’t suggesting plausible solutions because experimental games shouldn’t be accessible.

I’m well aware that it isn’t fair these games are locked, which is why I took action the way you’re supposed to and made a request to remove experimental mode. Games shouldn’t be locked, I agree. But experimental games should not be accessible.

1 Like

FE isn’t an easy flip like old terrain > smooth terrain was. You could join the game, but more than likely everything would be broken.

3 Likes

exactly

the point is being able to have access, and accepting that the scripting will be broken either way unless it gets updated, and not to reinforce bad coding habits

3 Likes

I’ve switched games from EE to FE before, I’m well aware it can be a pain. That was just an example I pulled out of my head from other people suggesting possible alternatives. Most old games are already broken due to Roblox updates over the years, so it’s not like it would be any different for those games to become FE. Can’t break what’s already broken. At least we could visit them and experience them in part that way.

5 Likes